Any Chances To Get Into Neuro For An Img?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuscani77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i graduated recenlty from my medical school in south america, well my question is if there is good chances for an IMG like me to get a spot in neurology... considering that neuro is a competitive specialty. I was graduated second in my class and have some awards.

Well please i like to know your experienced opinions in the issue.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

Neuro is one of the less competitive specailities considering that the american grads don't find it mentally challenging enough or financially rewarding.So if you have the right scores , go for it.And believe me the medals and prizes form ur med school will not really help ur application consideirng the scepticism with which PDs view ur application.

Unless an american grad wants your spot, you're a shoe in. Many FMG's in neuro, just because not enough americans want to do it

I guess it is the way you look at it. If from an invite perspective, probably not the most competitive but I find many students to be very competitive for whatever they are going into.

One student in my class did a lot of questionable things to keep ahead. She is interviewing for FM now. I witnesses over three years of her subterfuge and trickery for FM. You would have thought she was going for optho or something. I guess there is no telling what people would do to get where they want to go in this business.

As a side note, it amazes me how med students can be competitive at almost anything. Even when we are just releasing through some recreational activities such as basketball, a lot of classmates can be sore losers and make the games more stressful than school itself. I played a lot with guys dreaming of going to the NBA and it wasn't quite as crazy.