Any Chicago-area optometrists willing to let me shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinkus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask (kindly inform me if it isn't), but I've recently become interested in optometry and would love to get some experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask (kindly inform me if it isn't), but I've recently become interested in optometry and would love to get some experience.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with asking here, but I do think you'd have far better luck finding persons to shadow by just walking into practices and asking.

Duly noted. I'll try that, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duly noted. I'll try that, as well.

Doing so, I recommend you shadow at a variety of practices. Some students find an office they like, and they stick with it seemingly indefinitely. My opinion is, if you favor a doctor, sure, keep his location in mind — maybe spend much of your time, there, even; but, permit yourself exposure to a range of different modes of practice, especially as, nowadays, odds are high you will go into a corporate setting, even if for only a portion of your career. (Let's not derail this thread with corporation-bashing or loan-griping or any such thing; that's not what I meant to entice.)

Thanks for the advice.