Any comments appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhythmwar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am interested in opinions on my path to med school. Criticisms of all kind are welcome. Here's a little about me:
I am a double major in Fine Arts and Psychology. I will be doing my honors thesis centered on Emotional Regulation and the Amygdala at the Centre for Neural Science (NEW YORK UNIVERSITY) this coming academic year. Currently I have a 3.9 G.P.A. and have recently finished Chem I and Chem II (A/A-).

My plan is to take Bio I and II and Orgo I and II this coming academic year, while doing my honors thesis, and take Physics I and II next summer. I also plan to take the August MCAT so that I can apply for medical schools that fall. Is this totally insane? Is it even reasonable to think I can do well on the MCATs while taking physics next summer?
Overall I will have completed all my premed requirements in exactly a year.
:eek:

progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait a year. MCAT (singular, btw) in August isn't a good idea for your app. Take the courses you need, then spend a good 3-4 mos for solid MCAT studying and take it in the spring. To be competitive, you really ought to plan on having all your application materials ready to be submitted on June 1 about 15 months before you hope to matriculate. That means you should take the MCAT middle of your spring semester. I'd also suggest having some upper-div bio (w/ lab) in there. At least take genetics or physio or biochem. It'll show them you can do u/d bio. Also, summer sciences classes are generally not looked upon kindly by med schools as I understand -- esp. not the short half-summer kind b/c it's felt they may not cover things as well.
I'm not saying it's not doable. What I am saying is I don't think it's a good idea.

OP, I strongly suggest you to spread out your premed courses over two years instead of one as you planned. Unlike the MCAT, GPA is cumulative and difficult to fix should you bomb one subject due to your heavy course load. In addition, you need to incorporate healthcare-related ECs and possibly some research into your busy schedule to beef up your CV. Medschool application (and everything afterwards) is a marathon rather than a sprint, steady and slow is the name of the game.

So I am interested in opinions on my path to med school. Criticisms of all kind are welcome. Here's a little about me:
I am a double major in Fine Arts and Psychology. I will be doing my honors thesis centered on Emotional Regulation and the Amygdala at the Centre for Neural Science (NEW YORK UNIVERSITY) this coming academic year. Currently I have a 3.9 G.P.A. and have recently finished Chem I and Chem II (A/A-).

My plan is to take Bio I and II and Orgo I and II this coming academic year, while doing my honors thesis, and take Physics I and II next summer. I also plan to take the August MCAT so that I can apply for medical schools that fall. Is this totally insane? Is it even reasonable to think I can do well on the MCATs while taking physics next summer?
Overall I will have completed all my premed requirements in exactly a year.
:eek:

I was in almost precisely your situation: arts major, honors thesis, 3.9, etc.

Take your pre-reqs all before the MCAT. Trust me on this. The Physical Sciences section can be up to 60-70% physics on some MCATs.

As for the rate of classes, it seems fine. That's how fast it took me to do mine. It didn't hurt my GPA at all.