Any correlation between MCAT performance and USMLE Step 1 performance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pride4jc727

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys?

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a correlation between MCAT and USMLE Step 1 performance? I have been talking to and hearing from a wide array of people a lot of different opinions. My question to you guys is to ascertain if there is a consensus. If so, what is the consensus. Does it lie in the overall MCAT score, or is there one section of the MCAT (PS, VR, WS, or BS) that is correlated to future performance on the medical board licensing exams? I look forward to hearing what you all have to say to this.

Thanks once again for all your wonderful feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this article, its not perfect but its one of the few studies that have been conducted.

Undergraduate institutional MCAT scores as predictors of USMLE step 1 performance.
Basco WT Jr, Way DP, Gilbert GE, Hudson A.

Division of General Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA. [email protected]

Basically it says mcat correlates more with USMLE score than undergrad science gpa. Also within the sections, BS has the highest correlation, followed by PS and VR.