Any country that does not provide a way for a US educated MD to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saradoor

Does anyone know of any country that does not allow a US licensed physician with a US MD degree to practice (after taking the appropriate local board exams)?

Members don't see this ad.

i think all countries forbid US doctors to practice until they pass an exam in that country first. also, some countries have different educational requirements (hong kong, for instance, requires FIVE years of medical education, and intern year doesn't count).

dara678 said:
i think all countries forbid US doctors to practice until they pass an exam in that country first...

I know for a fact that many African countries allow US licensed physicians to practice there without much restrictions.

dara678 said:
...also, some countries have different educational requirements (hong kong, for instance, requires FIVE years of medical education, and intern year doesn't count).

I know Hong Kong allows US licensed physicians to practice there (after they passed the local board exam which may be waived sometimes). The medical degree in HK is a bachelor's level degree and if you count the total number of postsecondary (post high school) years that one has to go thru to be an MD in the US, it is more than 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
saradoor said:
I know for a fact that many African countries allow US licensed physicians to practice there without much restrictions.

I know Hong Kong allows US licensed physicians to practice there (after they passed the local board exam which may be waived sometimes). The medical degree in HK is a bachelor's level degree and if you count the total number of postsecondary (post high school) years that one has to go thru to be an MD in the US, it is more than 5.

I believe this is true of Aussie too.

Most places you can figure out a way..........if anything it'll involve a bit more education, an exam for the EU and language proficiency helps. Of course until this country absolutley meltsdown for whatever reason it is far preferable cash wise to stay here.