Any current NYCOM Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SF83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are any current NYCOM students out there and what they have to say about their school- either negative or positive. What are your roatatiobs like? Whats the cibe in the school? Are the students competative or is there more of a friendship vibe?

Members don't see this ad.

SF83 said:
I was just wondering if there are any current NYCOM students out there and what they have to say about their school- either negative or positive. What are your roatatiobs like? Whats the cibe in the school? Are the students competative or is there more of a friendship vibe?

I am a first year. You need to talk to 3rd, 4th years about quality of rotations.

Education is good. QUality of instructors overall is impressive. Students are nice. All the people I hang with are MD rejects like me with a few die-hard DO's sprinkled in. So we all bond over that.

Regarding competitiveness: look the system is honors, pass, fail. Honors is top 10% of class. If you are really interested in honors, go for it. I am really interested in passing.

Does NYCOM have a very active web board? I always wonder why I hardly see any NYCOM posters on SDN even with the very large class size they have.

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
Does NYCOM have a very active web board? I always wonder why I hardly see any NYCOM posters on SDN even with the very large class size they have.

Yes there is an internal web board which I guess is pretty active. I don't go to it much. Really, I don't know why there aren't too many NYCOM posters.

Ifellinapothole said:
Really, I don't know why there aren't too many NYCOM posters.

It's because we are all too busy trying to jam pharm into our pity brains. :eek:

Well i'm a first year so I'll put in my 2 cents...They completely changed the cirrciculum this year. There is both a Lecture Based Cirriculum and a Problem Based Cirrculum with about 40 students in it. I am in the Lecture Based Cirriculum and I must say I am pretty happy with it. The new cirriculum integrates different subjects into one system so instead of doing ALL of let's say Biochemistry at once, they do it piece by piece throughout the year as it applies to the system we are on. For example, we are doing the integumentary system now so we only did THAT portion of Biochem. The professors are pretty helpful and are good about answering emails. ALso, we are getting a lot more lectures from clinicians which makes the material way more interesting. Usually only second years hear from clinicians. The class is very large (300 something I believe) so its hard to meet all your classmates but everyone is really helpful to one another. I haven't seen any cut-throat action that you usually see in a lot of med schools. By far the BEST thing NYCOM has is Video Streaming. Almost all the classes and OMM labs are streamed so you can not go to class or use it to review. It's really useful on rainy, snowy days or when the professor talks really slow, you can speed up the lecture. PM if you have more q's.