Any D.O. radiology residents/physicians in here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year D.O. student interested in radiology. As a D.O. student, it is tough to gain research experience because of the lack of involvement with universities that have research (as many of you know). My question is for D.O. residents or attendings, or M.D.s that have insight on this issue. How were you able to gain research positions in radiology? I have emailed a few P.I.s already, but haven't had any luck thus far with responses.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

In general, research helps but most important are 3rd year grades, step 1 score, and clinical evaluations/LORs. Not having research won't be what keeps you out of radiology. Not having research is not why DOs are viewed differently during the application process.

As for getting involved in research, you can look into doing aways at programs during 3rd/4th year as a way to get in touch with faculty at other programs. You also have time between first and second year to work on a project at an away institution. For ideas, one example is that if your home is in a certain geographic location away from your medical school, you might look into programs near that area and ask around. Also I think DO schools have affiliations with other hospitals for clinical rotations that have their own medical schools and you can see if you can set up something that way. I met a few DO students at my hospital that did this.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, the programs that want research from their applicants are also programs that don't typically take DOs anyway. Research is a relatively minor thing for a DO. Like the above poster said, it's all about the step scores and LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the programs that want research from their applicants are also programs that don't typically take DOs anyway. Research is a relatively minor thing for a DO. Like the above poster said, it's all about the step scores and LORs.
But what if I wanted to apply ACGME? You're saying that even those residencies don't care about research or just DO residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But what if I wanted to apply ACGME? You're saying that even those residencies don't care about research or just DO residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

ACGME. There are very few AOA programs and I think only like 8 of them are merging.

Its not that they don't care persay, it's that the programs that weigh it heavily are usually programs that don't take DOs anyway.