Any Dentists who trained around 2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efle

not an elf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Big debate going on in the MD forums where we just found out our previously scored NBME Step 1 exam is going Pass/Fail, similar to what happened with the NBDE in 2012.

If anyone who was in school around then knows, how did they handle applicants who already had a scored version when they applied past the switch date? Did everyone have their score retroactively reported as Pass, or was there a mix of some people showing Pass and others showing a score?

Members don't see this ad.

I did. It was a mix. They didn't just report the scores as pass fail. They reported the score if you got a score.

Reactions: 1 user
I did. It was a mix. They didn't just report the scores as pass fail. They reported the score if you got a score.
Very interesting, would've thought that would be seen as extremely unfair to the people who are only allowed to show a Pass that want to compete for something like OMFS

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting, would've thought that would be seen as extremely unfair to the people who are only allowed to show a Pass that want to compete for something like OMFS

OMFS has a separate exam called the CBSE

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Also, what things became more important with the exam moving to P/F? Was anything evaluated as more important that wasn't before?

Also, what things became more important with the exam moving to P/F? Was anything evaluated as more important that wasn't before?

For most specialties, step 2 wasn't important, unless you used it as a way to make up for a sub-par step 1 performance. Now it will be even more important than step 1, especially because there are no do-overs. But the other stuff (research, connections, LORs, away rotations) now become even more important than they were before.

Reactions: 1 user
Class rank too much like dental school. My brother is a med resident and other is applying to med. They mentioned that step 2 is now a big deal but since it is one test they will most likely look at your class rank for another quantifiable measurement.

Class rank too much like dental school. My brother is a med resident and other is applying to med. They mentioned that step 2 is now a big deal but since it is one test they will most likely look at your class rank for another quantifiable measurement.

I thought med schools had embraced P/F. I know that in the classes we took with the med students, we got grades whereas they were P/F. And that was 20 years ago, more schools must have gone P/F since then. So P/F classes, P/F step 1, what else is left? Basically connections?

I thought med schools had embraced P/F. I know that in the classes we took with the med students, we got grades whereas they were P/F. And that was 20 years ago, more schools must have gone P/F since then. So P/F classes, P/F step 1, what else is left? Basically connections?

Well if you’re at a pass fail school then Step 2, research, extracurricular, connections. For you gunners in Med school. Your work load just increased. Yes you just have to pass step 1 but tack on what you planned to do with extracurriculars and times by 10.