Any DO school Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time finding the grading intervals for the DO schools. Are there any that are pass/fail for the first two years or ever? Anyone know where I can find this info out?

Members don't see this ad.

OUCOM is P/F

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
CCOM, Western/COMP, and TCOM has numeric grading.

Competing and worring about grades for another four years just seems so unappealing.

add UNE to the HP/P/F column... 90%/70% cutoffs

Anyone know what AZCOM is?

DblHelix said:
Anyone know what AZCOM is?

You must have a 70% to pass each class at azcom. Additionally there are a few classes, such as omm, that have higher requirements. GPA is calculated as a cumulative percentage from all classes. Class rank is calculated but withheld until end of second year.

Touro - Nevada is graded (A, B, C, U).

hylacinerea said:
You must have a 70% to pass each class at azcom. Additionally there are a few classes, such as omm, that have higher requirements. GPA is calculated as a cumulative percentage from all classes. Class rank is calculated but withheld until end of second year.

But do they give you a score? i.e. I got a 95 in the class or do you just know you passed that class?

DblHelix said:
But do they give you a score? i.e. I got a 95 in the class or do you just know you passed that class?

Yes, you get whatever percentage you earned in the class, i.e. if you get a 95 in the class, a 95 goes on your transcript.

PCOM also switched for straight numerical averages to weighted class averages this year. Which means harder classes are worth more than easier classes.

JonnyG said:
PCOM also switched for straight numerical averages to weighted class averages this year. Which means harder classes are worth more than easier classes.

So what do you all think of the numeric grading system? Do you think it fosters competitiveness among the students, or just generally make med school life more stressful?

honestly I look at it this way w/ our numerical system....if you pass, you pass...and its all good......its just that if you don't learn the material really well now you're going to have a fun time re-learning it all for the boards....

It only makes life more stressful if you can't lose that undergrad mentality that getting anything less then an A is bad......I know its a tough thing to do for many...but if you shift your thought process to one of being content with coming out of a course knowing your stuff for the most part....rather then worrying about getting an A.......your actual grade becomes irrelevant....as long as you passed...

I have come the realization that the difference between passing and a really high grade is just knowing the ins and outs of how the teachers put the tests together and which minute details they are going to stress. That is accomplished by how hard you are willing to work at the back-tests from previous years....

DblHelix said:
So what do you all think of the numeric grading system? Do you think it fosters competitiveness among the students, or just generally make med school life more stressful?

Your stress level is directly proportional to your expectations. Would life be a little easier if PCOM was strictly P/F and no internal ranking system? Probably. Yet, having a numerical system is not all that bad. Some people in my class set their bar at 70 (passing), a majority at 80, and some at 90.

What most 1st/2nd years don't realize is that pre-clinical grades are dead LAST on the list of criteria when evaluating a student for residency. It's important to do well but it's even more important to understand the material. This will prove invaluable when we sit down to study for boards. So if I were strategizing to strengthen my application, I'd put alot more time into:

1) doing well on Step 1 (VERY IMPORTANT...for most residencies)
2) getting excellent clinical grades (VERY IMPORTANT...which then leads to strong LOR's)
3) doing research with the big dogs in your field of interest (VERY IMPORTANT depending on the competitiveness of the field)
4) going on a medical mission (an eye-opening experience that makes for a great conversation during interviews)
5) demonstrating leadership on campus
6) doing well in classes years 1-2 (as competitive as ophthalmology is, only 20% of the matched applicants last year were AOA. That should tell you something)

Hope that helps.