Any EMTs or ER techs want to share?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you've had an interview and are an EMT/ER tech, what have the interviewers said about your experiences? if anything...
asked any difficult questions about your job?

or just share some of your funny experiences...i need a pick-me-up!
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
i am both a EMT and an ER tech and on all my interviews have not been asked anything about either!!! If anything I am the one trying to fit them into the conversion. My advice would be just to take some of your most valuble learning experiences from the jobs and use it to your advantage in the interview.
Like when asked a general question "why med?" I would talk about personal experiences with patients....i think it's a good way to show you've been there done that. It really kept the conversion going and seemed interesting to the interviewers.

I've been on a few interviews. I've discussed my job as an EMT on most of them, especially because it's continued to be a motivating factor for me to continue in medicine. On at least a couple of interviews the interviewer has prompted questioning regarding my employment. They haven't asked anything difficult, just share stories sort of thing. And it's something I enjoy talking about so it makes for an easy portion of the interview.

Funny experience? How about the drunk crazy guy who was in handcuffs because he was at his ex-wife's house making a scene and all he kept saying was "****!" really quickly. hehe, my partner does the impression quite well. tickles me funny bone, but i guess you had to be there. but that's probably not one i'd share in my interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
it never came up during my interviews. then again, most of my interesting EMT experiences came after my interviews were over.

My interviewer just asked me about some of my most memorable experiences. I'd get into them..but it's late, and I don't have the time right now...

I was an ER Tech (volunteered 500+ hours) at three hospitals. I got to do everything an employed tech does (take vitals, clean wounds, restrain patients, transport patients, etc.). I also interpreted (Spanish-English) as a tech and as a part-time job.

When they asked my why I want to be a doctor at my interviews, I was able to draw on these experiences to share with them. I have seen the effects of suicides (hanged themselves or shot themselves in the head), homicides, stabbings, etc. Each of these experiences really helped me learn about medicine and the limitations that one will have as a physician.

I also worked for two years as a firefighter/first responder and drew on those experiences as well.

It is this exposure as an ER Tech, firefighter/first responder, and interpreter that reaffirmed my decision to become a physician. If I were on the admissions committee, I would want to be sure that the student knows what he/she is getting into, and there are several people who may have high MCATs and GPAs, but if there is no experience, then those people may struggle to get into medical school.

I've only had two interviews, but I have spoken about my experiences at both. On my more recent interview I was asked if I think that my EMT experience will help me in medical school/become a doctor, and if I think I am at an advantage over those who do not have a clinical background. I answered that since I am an EMT-B, and we cannot do much medically, what is very important in our job is communication between us and our patients, and that if anything my job has taught me how to communicate more effectively. My work abroad also comes up a lot because I volunteered in Jerusalem and unfortunately we were very busy there. Hmm...I know I have a lot of funny stories but it's a bit hard to come up with a good one after a 12 hour shift. I'll think about it and post one tomorrow (yay for my day off)!

EMT'S rule!!

My favorite calls are the schizophrenic patients who try to bite and hit you and who tell you that you can say anything you want in the ambulance because they put a spell on it. Oh and gotta love it when patients pee on your gurney!

Ok, I promised a story...this is the first thing that came to mind (probably because it's most recent) but it's quite embarassing so I'm sharing it so that others won't do it, and maybe it will get a laugh :)

We were picking up a patient after an appt at an eye clinic. She was sitting in a wheelchair with a sheet over her like a blanket. Lots of times with wheelchair patients we move them by helping them stand with our hands under their arms and then assisting them to pivit and sit on our cot. So I ask her something like, "can you stand with our help?" It ends up that she has a double below knee amputation (without prostheses)! Oh my I felt so horrible...I am never doing that again.

One more story...We were picking up an elderly and slightly senile lady from dialysis and bringing her back home. The entire last five minutes of the ride she just kept on saying, I have to pee, I have to pee. I tried to strike up conversation with her to get her mind off of her bladder, but to no avail, just more "I have to pee." We quickly get to the nursing home and rush her in, and as the staff help her I see that she had a diaper on. With all of our hurrying and trying to take her mind off the bathroom I didn't think of the obvious. A week later when we took her again she had a foley. This time her complaint was "my a$$ hurts." Can't please em all.