Any Ethiopians out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtmunie

John 14:6
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any pre-med (or med student) Ethiopians out there in the States or in Ethiopia? I just wanted to create some minor support system.
Metasebia

Members don't see this ad.

mtmunie said:
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any pre-med (or med student) Ethiopians out there in the States or in Ethiopia? I just wanted to create some minor support system.
Metasebia

Selam Selam fellow Habesha partaking in the insanity that is being a pre-med/ med student. I'm defintely game for setting a minor/major/ANY support system. Trust me, in the insane process of being pre-med, applying, then making it thru med school, any help is much needed. Habesha si tebaber tiru new. :)

-Merkeza

Hey Merkeza,
it's nice to see that there are fellow habeshoch out there who are SDNers. I go to a small liberal arts school in the midwest and I'm a rising senior(Biochem major and math minor). I'm going to take the MCAT next April and so I'm gonna take a year off and do something cool before hopefully going to med school. What's your story?
Meti(Metasebia sikolamet)

MMamo said:
Selam Selam fellow Habesha partaking in the insanity that is being a pre-med/ med student. I'm defintely game for setting a minor/major/ANY support system. Trust me, in the insane process of being pre-med, applying, then making it thru med school, any help is much needed. Habesha si tebaber tiru new. :)

-Merkeza

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm ethiopian, 3rd yr med student in NC......would be more than happy to talk to you guys about applying to med school, going to med school etc.
And, if you have time do check out the Ethiopian Medical Students Association website (this is mainly for med students in Ethiopia, but is open to anyone) www.emsa-ethiopia.org
My advice to y'all is hang in there and it will happen!

Best Wishes
ES

Hey ES,
thanks for your post. It's nice to see that there are habeshoch who have survived the whole med school application process and got in. I'm a little anxious about the whole process so any advice you offer would be great.
So, what things did you do in college and extra-co activities before applying to med school, like volunteering, research, etc. So far, I've done some research and volunteering but nothing spectacular. I have a very good GPA and I've gonna take the MCAT next april. I'm also doing an internship in a well-known biotech company this summer, so any advice that you offer on how I can improve my candidacy would be appreciated. Melkam temirt or is it melkam rotations.
Meti

Abyssinia said:
Hey guys,
I'm ethiopian, 3rd yr med student in NC......would be more than happy to talk to you guys about applying to med school, going to med school etc.
And, if you have time do check out the Ethiopian Medical Students Association website (this is mainly for med students in Ethiopia, but is open to anyone) www.emsa-ethiopia.org
My advice to y'all is hang in there and it will happen!

Best Wishes
ES

mtmunie said:
Hey Merkeza,
it's nice to see that there are fellow habeshoch out there who are SDNers. I go to a small liberal arts school in the midwest and I'm a rising senior(Biochem major and math minor). I'm going to take the MCAT next April and so I'm gonna take a year off and do something cool before hopefully going to med school. What's your story?
Meti(Metasebia sikolamet)

Selam Selam
I apologize in advance if this post is a little gibberish. . the mix of habeshoch, graduation, and 6 hr car rides to and from school drains the energy :) I'm glad to see so many Habeshoch come out of the woodwork to post on this thread. I was a bio major during college and my concentration was in Nutrition. I had an internship for 2 summers w/ the American Society of Clinical Oncology, worked at a summer camp for inner city DC kids and then last summer I spent 2.5 months in Addis and worked w/ doctors at Tikur Anbessa and Selam Health Center (the most AMAZING time!). In all honesty, of all the summer stuff I did, that last one was the one that got me into med school. When you're up against kids who have stellar gpa's and do several extracurriculars, its' the stuff you do outside the box to show your dedication to medicine that helps you when you apply.

hmmm, beterefe, the brain cells are quickly ceasing to function for the nite, so i'll end this post. defintely hit me up with any questions you may have. Ciao!

Hey Merkeza,
ende sewoch endezi yetefal ende? ere please get on SDN more often enji. As for the 6 hour car ride to and from school, dude, that's too much. hope that's not everyday.
beterefe, your CV is pretty amazing. I was particularly impressed with the work you did at Tikur Anbessa. That's definitely where I'd want to go even for a summer internship if I get into med school. My dad works there, and the desta he feels from helping our wegeneoch is over the top. Wherever my career path takes me, that's basically what I want to do. Beterefe, you're right about doing stuff outside the box to show dedication to medicine.
meti

MMamo said:
Selam Selam
I apologize in advance if this post is a little gibberish. . the mix of habeshoch, graduation, and 6 hr car rides to and from school drains the energy :) I'm glad to see so many Habeshoch come out of the woodwork to post on this thread. I was a bio major during college and my concentration was in Nutrition. I had an internship for 2 summers w/ the American Society of Clinical Oncology, worked at a summer camp for inner city DC kids and then last summer I spent 2.5 months in Addis and worked w/ doctors at Tikur Anbessa and Selam Health Center (the most AMAZING time!). In all honesty, of all the summer stuff I did, that last one was the one that got me into med school. When you're up against kids who have stellar gpa's and do several extracurriculars, its' the stuff you do outside the box to show your dedication to medicine that helps you when you apply.

hmmm, beterefe, the brain cells are quickly ceasing to function for the nite, so i'll end this post. defintely hit me up with any questions you may have. Ciao!

Hey guys, menew tefachu? I'm posting this today not to talk about med school, but a rather urgent situation. I'm sure you all have heard about the killings of innocent Ethiopian students in Addis. So far, 22 students have been killed and hundreds injured and who knows how many more. I'm just so sad that our wegenoch have to go through such acts of inhumanity. I feel so helpless and VERY angry. Whenever I look at pictures of the injured or the dead on the internet, I cry and yet what are my tears going to do. Becha, I just posted this thread to ask all of you to pray for Ethiopia, because only God can help us now. Please support our wegenoch back home by taking part in peaceful demonstrations in your states and be selot.
meti

Yihe SDN was down for a few days ena minim mels mestet alchalkum. Actually, I've been glued on ethioindex.com/ethiomedia.com/cyberethiopia.com hungry for news about the situation in Addis. I was so stunned to see pics of Tikur Anbessa today online w/ the wounded and it hit me that exactly 1 year ago to the date, I was walking in the same wards as all that is happening there. Betam Betam TSELOT yemiasfelig neger new. The pictures and actual stories of people who are in Addis right now posting on forums on ethioindex.com are atrocious.

I was just skimming the esai.org forums to see what ppl here were doing. I got through on the phone calling Addis yesterday, but many people told me that the lines have not been working today, so we'll see about tomorrow.

I'm not sure where exactly you're located, but I hope Habeshoch in your area are getting together and voicing their opposition to what's going on. . trying to persuade the international community to do something to stop what's going on. I know there are a few events planned here in the DC area the next few days in the way of vigils and peaceful protests outside embassies and the like. I saw some footage on BBC tonite and I think I read somewhere on some forum that BET had picked up the story, so I'm glad that it's getting airtime here in the states.

Beterefe, sorry to use this post to talk about ye hager guyday, gen for the moment, its what's taking precedent. Ishi. . that's it for now. . . tinish yaschegiral libachin ke hager gara sihon, gen egna izi sini nor. . .

Hi guys,
The unrest in Addis over the last few days is truly disappointing. The good news is that things seem to be going back to 'normal'. Ye sew hiwot endezi bekelalu sitefa betam yasazenal, but that seems to be the norm in the continent :(
In any case, Meti it sounds like you're on the right track in terms of applying to med school....internships, research experiences are all a plus for your application. Any clinical experience you can get also speaks for your interest and enthusiasm like Merkeza's work at Tikur Anbessa.
I personally worked as a nurse assistant in college and had a few research experiences.
One thing that I highly recommend if you're now a junior is to apply to summer "Pre-med" programs, University of North Carolina has a good one. Basically these programs give you a taste of what first year in med school is like and if you do well, that will look really good. The other thing is when you have some free time go to the book store, like barnes and noble etc. and read up on MCAT prep books and med school books, that helps.
Knowledge is Power :)
Good luck on the MCAT
feel free to ask any more questions, hope the above helps some...
Ergeba

Sorry everyone, this is a little off topic.
MMamo - I read about your work in the health centers in Addis...I am an expat medical Canadian doing medical school in Australia. I am currently in my clinical years, and I am trying to organize an elective term in Ethiopia for later this year. I am having some difficulty trying to get contacts at hospitals/clinics there and oraganize it. I have tried several chanels such as emailing the medical schools in Addis and Gondar, several organizations such as MSF... however, I have yet to receive any replys. I was wondering if you could, or anyone, offer any advice on how to go about orgnanizing this, or could pass along some good contacts they might have. I am not very fussed on where to go, as I would love to spend some time traveling around afterwards.

I was sorry to hear about the events happening in Addis recently. I hope all of your loved ones are okay.

Thanks for any advice anyone could offer. Regards :)

MMamo said:
Selam Selam

Selam,
I need a little advice. I hope you can help me here, Abyssinia. I applied to a whole bunch of med schools last year, and I didn't get in any of them. (GPA and MCAT were not that impressive) This year, I was a little discouraged and I only applied to post-bac programs, masters in Physiology, and some new caribbean school. The post-bacs didn't take me, but I got accepted in the masters program and the caribbean school. I am a little skeptic about the carib cuz it is new and doesn't have good reputations yet. should I start the masters to build up my credentials or should I go to the caribbean school instead of spending another year waiting to get into a medical school? :confused:

Selam!

Yaay, Habesha people! My grandfather from my dad's side was from Addis, but I guess I'm more pre-dominantly Somali now. However, I stand firmly by my 'yaay' :)

Hi Joro,
Don't be discouraged, if this is truly what you want then you've got to keep trying! I know one person who got in to med school after several tries. Regarding the carribean school, would it be possible for you to get in touch with alumni who could give you feedback on the training and life-after.... that would help. But obviously the decision to attend depends on how you feel. Good luck!
Canaussie- you could sign up to the Ethiopian medical students listserv by visiting the website www.emsa-ethiopia.org and send out an e-mail expressing your interest. I also have contact with the Anti-Malaria association and they're looking for volunteers. If you're interested let me know.
ES