any experience volunteering as an interpreter in hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin883

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I found that in Stanford hospital there is an interpreter program for premed students to work as volunteers. Have any of you had any experience working in Stanford hospital (or any other hospitals) as interpreter? What kinds of benefits do you think we can get from that?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

well I worked as an ER volunteer at the Children's hospital oakland, but helping out as a translator/interpreter was a part of my job since i speak spanish...It was a good experience because improves your communication skills and people skills, which is a great thing to improve on

Javi

i would do it...i've been an interpreter for 3 years and have witnessed so much that doctors do. plus, the direct doctor and patient contact gives you a real perspective from both sides--it's awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also a ER volunteer. I feel that acting as an interpreter was the most meaningful part of the experience. It gave many opportunities to observe patient-physician interaction and probably the best way that volunteers can help patients. They are always grateful that they don't have to wait for a hospital interpreter (which may mean hours before they can be treated).

I volunteered as a translator in a free clinic (I also did patient intake). I'm sure a lot of you have heard me say this before, but it was a WONDERFUL experience. I ended up writing my personal statement about it. Communication is a bigger part of becoming a physician than some people realize. You see both the patient's and the doctor's point of view, which is an unusual perspective. DO IT! :D Por favor!