blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I know...I know.....there is a long history of NYC program threads on this forum but they are all at least three years old and the longest one devolved into name-calling. A lot can happen in three years.

Here is what I would like help with: I am a competitive applicant who will be restricted to applying to the NYC programs and nearby programs due to my spouses's job. Can anyone who has trained at, interviewed at, or heard anything about the NYC programs (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Einstein) please tell me what they know. Any info is appreciated. I am interested in many subspecialties in Path, and would like the option of going into Dermatopath if I find that I like it. I'm not a bleeding heart researcher, but I would like to work in academic medicine as a clinical instructor, with mostly signing out and possibly collaborating on research projects.

A little about me: 3rd year medical student from top 50 mid tier school.
-Straight honors in 1st and 2nd year save for a few 1-2 credit classes
-262 on the Step 1.
-3rd year grades so far: Fam Med - Pass, Neuro - High Pass, Psychiatry - Honors, Medicine - Honors.
-Lots of basic science research in undergrad and before medical school, but no publications :mad: Did summer research in a big-wig's Path lab but didn't publish anything and met him only twice. Plan on doing a case report in Path by the year's end.

Last edited:

Pathologee

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
-3rd year grades so far: Fam Med - Pass, Neuro - High Pass, Psychiatry - Honors, Medicine - Honors.
Honored psych and medicine? I already tell that your reports are going to be way too long:). You have a great CV for a med student wanting to get into pathology at any one of those programs. I think that step 1 carries more weight here since a lot of it is pathology. You shouldn't worry about matching into the right program.

OP
blackbird11384

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Honored psych and medicine? I already tell that your reports are going to be way too long:). You have a great CV for a med student wanting to get into pathology at any one of those programs. I think that step 1 carries more weight here since a lot of it is pathology. You shouldn't worry about matching into the right program.

When you say here, do you mean at one of the NYC programs where you are currently a fellow?

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You can punch your ticket to whatever program you want to go to. You are a pathstar applicant. I considered all the Manhattan Programs and found Columbia and Cornell to have the most complete programs but that was a few years ago. Do clerkships at 2 or 3 of them and interview at all of them and you will know which is best for you.

HbyHA

Fellowship, take 2.
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i interviewed at Cornell, Columbia, and NYU. All seemed ok, i just ended up staying closer to home. i'm now in NYC as a fellow but in the ME's office, so can't relate any firsthand info on programs.

you sound like a great applicant on paper. plus you are a definite to stay in the area (programs LOVE a sure thing). also long as you aren't too far out there on interview day (see previous threads on this topic), i don't see why you can't pick and choose the program you like best.

do some research on the web, then try to rotate at the places you're most interested in. you may find what looks good on paper doesn't quite fit right when you get there. if you're interested in Derm, try to go somewhere that has a fellowship that takes PATH fellows as well as derm fellows. not the best person to answer where that is, someone else prob can offer more insight.

good luck.

OP
blackbird11384

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for everyones responses. If one is interested in clinical path more than research, and possibly private practice, would a residency program with more in-house fellowships be a better choice? I'm sure Columbia is a very strong program, but they surprisingly only offer two fellowships, and no dermpath. Would that make Cornell a better choice for me?

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thanks for everyones responses. If one is interested in clinical path more than research, and possibly private practice, would a residency program with more in-house fellowships be a better choice? I'm sure Columbia is a very strong program, but they surprisingly only offer two fellowships, and no dermpath. Would that make Cornell a better choice for me?

The variety and number of spots of in-house fellowships is one of many important factors to consider when selecting residency. I wouldn't let it be the over-riding one unless all else was equal.

KeratinPearls

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The variety and number of spots of in-house fellowships is one of many important factors to consider when selecting residency. I wouldn't let it be the over-riding one unless all else was equal.
I totally agree. Having a fellowship means you have adequate volume for training in that subspec.

# of fellowships and being able to see yourself there and happy for four years are most important.

KCShaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I totally agree. Having a fellowship means you have adequate volume for training in that subspec.

# of fellowships and being able to see yourself there and happy for four years are most important.
While the first part of that is true, keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily mean a resident has much access to those subspecialty specimens/slides, which are being funneled to the fellow(s) -- good to keep in mind to feel out on interview day, too. Which is another reason why the second part is important.

Having lots of fellowships is more likely to mean the fellows and their associated subspecialties are integrated into resident teaching & workflow. Be that as it may, you should be prepared to insert yourself into the lap of the attending(s)/fellow(s) in your subspecialty of interest while in residency, particularly if they are -not- already well integrated into the rest of the residency program.

caffeinegirl

15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2000
Status
Attending Physician
As for your interest in dermpath, you are correct in that Columbia doesn't have a dermpath fellowship. If you have a choice of places to attend, make sure that you are able to have exposure to dermpath in your first year. At NYU, this is not usually the norm for first year pathology residents, as dermpath is part of the dermatology department. Definitely express your interest in dermpath during interviews, and ask about rotations in that department. The Cornell/MSKCC dermpath fellowship is also great, but I'm not sure about the resident rotations in dermpath and whether you have exposure as a first year...