Any experience with the VMS program at Drexel University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

melanda8485

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got on two alternate lists this past application cycle, so I have been trying to decide what to do this upcoming year while I apply again. This past week I got a job offer for a veterinary assistant position and accepted to the VMS program at Drexel University College of Medicine.

I need to decide between working and taking classes at a local university or moving 3 hrs away to Philly and doing post-bac. work at Drexel...

All that to say, has anyone heard anything about this program? Or actually completed it? If so, does it look good on the application - or not make much difference?

I would appreciate any advice - Thanks!
 
I have no experience or knowledge of the program, but I would pursue whatever was weak in your application. If it was grades - do the post-bac and if it was experience, take the job. Just my two cents.
 
i agree completely with ri23 as far as doing what your application was lacking.

what is the VMS? i had heard about a post-bac program that was lab animal studies, and i *heard* that that had a near 100% acceptance rate into vet school upon successful completion of the program. not sure if that's the same thing or not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I totally agree that I need to work on what was weak, but I have talked to several admissions departments regarding my application - they have said that I was really borderline and that the biggest problem was that it was one of the largest years for applications. It certainly would help to get more experience and a higher gpa, but I can do that by taking classes at the local university (a masters program).

The VMS program is the Veterinary Medical Science post-bac program that, should one not get accepted to vet school, would count towards a two year masters program in Laboratory Animal Science.

I am wondering about the acceptance rate following completion of the program.
 
I know that the two year masters is a successful (in terms of acceptances) feeder program for Penn - I imagine that Drexel staff would be able to give you specific acceptance percentages.