Any floridians, UNDECIDED BETWEEN NOVA AND PBA HELP!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jossue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I AM UNDECIDED BETWEEN NSU COLLEGE OF PHARMACY AND PALM BEACH ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY'S GREGORY SCHOOL OF PHARMACY. I HONESTLY LIKE THEM BOTH AND HAVE INTERVIEWS FOR BOTH COMING UP, I JUST DONT WANT TO CHOOSE THE WRONG SCHOOL, YOUR OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED:

NSU PROS
- MUCH CLOSER CAN SAVE TIME 1 HR DAILY ON TRAVEL (VS PBA) :)
- LESS EXPENSIVE TUITION, STILL HIGH BUT COMPARED TO PBA ILL BE SAVING AROUND 20K
- I CAN ENJOY MY SUMMER WITHOUT TAKING BIOCHEMISTRY :D
- GOOD REPUTATION :D

NSU CONS
- TUITION IS STILL HIGH @ 25K :(
- HEARD THAT FACULTY DOESNT REALLY CARE AS MUCH ABOUT THEIR STUDENTS (COMPARED TO PBA)
- LARGER CLASS SIZE ( 120 VS 75 IN PBA)
- PREVIOUS ACCREDITATION PROBATION (BUT ITS OVER)

PBA PROS
- FACULTY SEEMS MORE CARING ABOUT STUDENTS
- PHARMACY STUDENTS HAVE THEIR OWN BUILDING ( NSU HPD SHARES ITS BUILDING)
- POTENTIAL $30K AND $15K HONORS SCHOLARSHIPS:laugh:
- SMALL CLASS SIZE INTERGRATED TEACHING METHODS, TABLET PC
- 24HR ACCESS TO BUILDING

PBA CONS
- MANDATORY CHAPEL, AND CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (I DONT MIND BUT OTHERS DO)
- HIGHEST TUITION IN FLORIDA $30,300 PER YEAR:)eek:)
- APPROX 1.5 HRS DRIVING THERE AND BACK (MORE OR LESS)
- HAVE TO TAKE BIOCHEM IN THE SUMMER (OUCH!!!:()

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ANYTHING TO MY LIST FEEL FREE TO DO SO!!

Members don't see this ad.

I AM UNDECIDED BETWEEN NSU COLLEGE OF PHARMACY AND PALM BEACH ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY'S GREGORY SCHOOL OF PHARMACY. I HONESTLY LIKE THEM BOTH AND HAVE INTERVIEWS FOR BOTH COMING UP, I JUST DONT WANT TO CHOOSE THE WRONG SCHOOL, YOUR OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED:

NSU PROS
- LESS EXPENSIVE TUITION, STILL HIGH BUT COMPARED TO PBA ILL BE SAVING AROUND 20K

NSU CONS
- HEARD THAT FACULTY DOESNT REALLY CARE AS MUCH ABOUT THEIR STUDENTS (COMPARED TO PBA)

PBA PROS

PBA CONS

lol nice summary. I visited both schools on many occasions but I just really liked the atmosphere at PBA. its just a matter of you willing to make that drive or not.

I am in the same boat as you right now. I was just accepted to PBA yesterday, and hear back from Nova in a few weeks.

PBA you will definitely get more personal attention. PBA also has a much higher Naplex pass rate than Nova. PBA is a great school and has great professors, and everyone will know you by first name. The tablet pc thing is really cool the way it works with lectures. The building is nice and new and the labs are great, and there is opportunity to do research here if you are inclined. You will wear professional dress here daily.

But, like you said, they require chapel and community service, and also require you to join a fraternity. They do not allow drinking at social/frat events. The religious aspect may be almost overbearing, with praying in class before exams. The logo on the coat you wear has a Jesus fish on it. I'm not religious so these aspects are kind of a turn off for me.

I don't know as much about Nova. The class size will be larger and their Naplex pass rate seems to vary wildly year to year. I like the larger class size because I do like more anonyminity and social opportunity, and I like that the building is shared with other medical professions. The building seems great. You can wear scrubs here in lieu of professional dress.

Honestly what it comes down to me is the forced chapel/community service. It's something like 30 hours a semester I believe, and that's time I felt would be better used studying. If I get into Nova it will be my first choice, but I would be happy to go to PBA as a backup. At both schools the students seemed very happy with their choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jossue! I'm kind of on the same situation. I had an interview at PBA last Friday n haven't heard back from them yet. How long did they take to call you???Taking biochem during the sumer does suck ;(
I also have an interview at NSU on march. I would love to go to nova but it a little far from home. PBA parking is bad and pretty soon there will be a fee. My friend from nova told me that parking there is great and there will be a new building for pharmacy students only.

I am in the same boat as you right now. I was just accepted to PBA yesterday, and hear back from Nova in a few weeks.

PBA you will definitely get more personal attention. PBA also has a much higher Naplex pass rate than Nova. PBA is a great school and has great professors, and everyone will know you by first name. The tablet pc thing is really cool the way it works with lectures. The building is nice and new and the labs are great, and there is opportunity to do research here if you are inclined. You will wear professional dress here daily.

But, like you said, they require chapel and community service, and also require you to join a fraternity. They do not allow drinking at social/frat events. The religious aspect may be almost overbearing, with praying in class before exams. The logo on the coat you wear has a Jesus fish on it. I'm not religious so these aspects are kind of a turn off for me.

I don't know as much about Nova. The class size will be larger and their Naplex pass rate seems to vary wildly year to year. I like the larger class size because I do like more anonyminity and social opportunity, and I like that the building is shared with other medical professions. The building seems great. You can wear scrubs here in lieu of professional dress.

Honestly what it comes down to me is the forced chapel/community service. It's something like 30 hours a semester I believe, and that's time I felt would be better used studying. If I get into Nova it will be my first choice, but I would be happy to go to PBA as a backup. At both schools the students seemed very happy with their choice.

Yes I felt the same way about PBA, i beleive the chapel hrs are 12 per semester, which is 24 per year which is not that bad. I would not really mind the praying before an exam, it might be beneficial;), i was really impressed with PBA though, I still have an interview soon with NOVA i would like to hear how they compare to PBA then i will make my desicion. The students from PBA told me how they embarassed NOVA students during their rotation, and how the preceptors can just tell the difference between the types of students, so its really something to think about..

The students from PBA told me how they embarassed NOVA students during their rotation, and how the preceptors can just tell the difference between the types of students, so its really something to think about..

I heard that too from one of my friends that goes there. Preceptors said that PBA students are usually more prepared do to the more hands-on approach that they have. If you are in NOVA in davie, the class is too big, and if you are in Nova in PBG, you have to sit there watching feeds from the davie campus which I find quite annoying. When you get accepted at PBA they call you, when you get accepted at NOVA they send you an email. that's your difference!

Last edited:
Hi Jossue! I'm kind of on the same situation. I had an interview at PBA last Friday n haven't heard back from them yet. How long did they take to call you???Taking biochem during the sumer does suck ;(
I also have an interview at NSU on march. I would love to go to nova but it a little far from home. PBA parking is bad and pretty soon there will be a fee. My friend from nova told me that parking there is great and there will be a new building for pharmacy students only.

they usually call students, not the week after their interview, but mon-wed on the second week after their interview. So be expecting that call early next week if you got in, if not they will send you a rejection letter in the mail. hopefully you get accepted. good luck!

hi mayde, the problem with me is that i am near NOVA, if i lived near PBA i would not even go to the NOVA interview , and just go to PBA.
they take 2 weeks to give a response, they said it should be no longer or no less than 2 weeks, check your pharmcas email as well

they usually call students, not the week after their interview, but mon-wed on the second week after their interview. So be expecting that call early next week if you got in, if not they will send you a rejection letter in the mail. hopefully you get accepted. good luck!

Thanks PharmCase! I was already getting nervous...I'll keep you posted and hopefully we will be classmates

hi mayde, the problem with me is that i am near NOVA, if i lived near PBA i would not even go to the NOVA interview , and just go to PBA.
they take 2 weeks to give a response, they said it should be no longer or no less than 2 weeks, check your pharmcas email as well

Thanks for the info :)
Thats great that Nova is closer for you. My friend from work loves it and he is exited about the new building. Hope you get in :xf:

Thanks PharmCase! I was already getting nervous...I'll keep you posted and hopefully we will be classmates

yea that would be great! let me know. do you prefer pba or nova? good luck!

Hi guys!!! I was accepted to PBA yesterday and wanted to share the news with you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was accepted yesterday for PBA.. So anyone who is attending this fall and need a possible roomate let me kno. Ima gonna start looking soon for places...

Yes, I think I will attend PBA. Even tho I have a interview with nova next fri...

Yes, I think I will attend PBA. Even tho I have a interview with nova next fri...

niiice....yea because i remember they give you like two weeks to pay the non refundable $500 to hold your spot.

why not take it at Palm Beach State College or FAU? because if you take it at PBA the price per class is way higher. you would have to transfer to undergrad from your school for the summer im assuming.

Yep I also have to take biochem in summer. And im wondering if PBA will allow me take it elsewhere like Palm beach state?

lol ya making me feel old. I took biochem like 2 years ago lol.

Yep I also have to take biochem in summer. And im wondering if PBA will allow me take it elsewhere like Palm beach state?

Palm Beach State College doesn't teach this class ;(

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had my interview with Nova and it went pretty well, and hopefully I get accepted there. But have u decided if ur goin PBA or NOVA?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had my interview with Nova and it went pretty well, and hopefully I get accepted there. But have u decided if ur goin PBA or NOVA?

glad it went well...hopefully u get in.

All of you who received interviews for NOVA? what did you guys score on your pcat?
I did well/ decent on my math and sciences but my verbal and reading crushed me completely. I got a 47%.

All of you who received interviews for NOVA? what did you guys score on your pcat?
I did well/ decent on my math and sciences but my verbal and reading crushed me completely. I got a 47%.

I recieved an interview at Nova with an 88 PCAT, but was not accepted. Was accepted to PBA though.

Hey yall I know my situation is a bit different but i have a similar problem I got a interview with PBA and set it during spring break thinking no more interviews were comin my way. Well after being stonewalled and the dead silence Univ. of Pitt gave me a interview around the same day as PBA! So now i need to choose who to turn down and i can't make a choice. I mean they both about equally far away from me ( I live in San Antonio, Texas) and their tutitions are similarly priced (PBA roughly 30,000; PITT roughly $25,000). Can anyone tell me more about PBA im doin as much questioning on the phone but anyone who lives around there or goes there would be more helpful same goes for Univ. of PITT.

So I have been accepted to PBA but I am still waiting for my notice for Nova. But the Naplex scores for Nova do not tell the whole story compared to the higher Naplex scores for PBA because PBA has only 75 canidates taking the exam, compared to the 200 plus taking the exam from all Nova's campuses. And Palm beach Nova campus has a smaller class size than PBA, Nova in west palm is 50, PBA is 75 and some. I heard Nova's interviews are tough because they are testin you to see whether you can handle the pressure. And do remember that we will be taught Sciences, and would you rather learn science from a non-religious school or a religious school. The Tablet PC is cool, but is it not a waste of money, why cant I use my laptop? If I get accepted to Nova I will be undecided where to go. But These are just some points to consider. And Nova has a new pharmacy building in west palm for Fall students. Ponder a lil bit... Oh yea, I chatted to a P1 student at NOva and he told me if u fail the class u can take retake the final. But if u still fail you can take that class again the next semester. Nova wants every student to succeed. Im sure PBA does to, but wat are there policies on failing? Anyone kno?

Thanks everyone who gave their inputs and/or added to my list..;)

Now that I have been interviewed by both i need to wait for the results:eek:

MY STATS
PHARMCAS OVERALL GPA: 3.8
PHARMCAS MATH GPA: 4.0
PHARMCAS SCIENCE GPA 4.0
PCAT 81 composite
Volunteer Pharm. Exp

NSU left a real good impression on me so far, ive seen other posts where people would say they come off as rude, but thats not necessarily true, I was real comfortable there.

PBA was great as well, felt very welcomed there, atomsphere of the school was awesome, and chapel session was not that bad... Quiz was cake, and interview was only 10 min long..lol

Lecom didnt accept me, but there 4 HOURS away :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The wait starts now..:smuggrin:

Hey yall I know my situation is a bit different but i have a similar problem I got a interview with PBA and set it during spring break thinking no more interviews were comin my way. Well after being stonewalled and the dead silence Univ. of Pitt gave me a interview around the same day as PBA! So now i need to choose who to turn down and i can't make a choice. I mean they both about equally far away from me ( I live in San Antonio, Texas) and their tutitions are similarly priced (PBA roughly 30,000; PITT roughly $25,000). Can anyone tell me more about PBA im doin as much questioning on the phone but anyone who lives around there or goes there would be more helpful same goes for Univ. of PITT.
This should be a no brainer. Pitt is a recognized school that has a good reputation and its cheaper. PBA is going to be very different from Pitt. Make sure you know what PBA is about before you go to the interview and find out that it may not be the right program for you.

Best,
minnie

NSU PROS

NSU CONS

PBA PROS

PBA CONS

I would just like to say i am a current p1 at PBA and that the education here is great. The professors here really prepare you for the real work environment. As far as the cons go for pba its pretty much the tuition but does that really matter knowing the salary that comes with the profession? Also, might i add we do have the highest pass rate on the law exam section in the state and are second overall to UF on the Naplex...Another thing, ive been on rotation with students from Nova and I know more things about my profession of pharmacy than some of their P3 students. Any other questions feel free to ask

I hope that you make the right decision for you. The only thing that I can add is that I feel that NOVA is partial to students that are minorities, especially Latinos. The Dean of the School of Pharmacy has made statements to the effect that NOVA produces more Latino Pharmacists than any other school in Florida. This could possibly help you. Good luck with your decision and I would recommend checking out each school carefully.

hey everyone

i got accepted to PBA COP last month and i am really excited. most probably i will be going there. it seems like a really good school except they sky high tuition. does anyone know failing a class policy there, dean mentioned something but i dont remember perfectly. any one else planning on going there.

yes it is true about the latino population. I am a latino, and I was accepted to NOVA last november. My english is not that good if you compare it with a native american, I was so scare when I went to the interview because it was my first interview EVER, and not in a language that I am able to work excellent with it. However, I still managed to talk like for 25 min. My stats are not that great, in the english section of the pcat I got like 45%, but chemistry and bio solid 92. I guess they accepted me because I volunteered at the pharmacy like for a year plus 1 year in research, in fact, more than half the time in the interview I talked about the research experience that I had.

I did not want to apply to PBA because of the tuition, the distance (I live in miami), and the two anatomy courses with labs that they require. About the religious thing, I have no problems with it. And I do think, in some ways, this might be an advantage for PBA students, when they hit the job market.

By the way, has anyone accepted the financial aid award? I am still reviewing that stuff...Well see you guys at davie campus.

hey everyone

i got accepted to PBA COP last month and i am really excited. most probably i will be going there. it seems like a really good school except they sky high tuition. does anyone know failing a class policy there, dean mentioned something but i dont remember perfectly. any one else planning on going there.

PBA makes it hard to fail out. You can do summer remidaitions and you can drop back a class to retake. This will cost you even more cash of course.

Of course some people still fail out. Nature of the beast: PharmD isn't easy.

I would just like to say i am a current p1 at PBA and that the education here is great. The professors here really prepare you for the real work environment. As far as the cons go for pba its pretty much the tuition but does that really matter knowing the salary that comes with the profession? Also, might i add we do have the highest pass rate on the law exam section in the state and are second overall to UF on the Naplex...Another thing, ive been on rotation with students from Nova and I know more things about my profession of pharmacy than some of their P3 students. Any other questions feel free to ask

Whatch out for the p2 year. It's a doozy. :)

Hey guys,

A few of you have had a wrong information about Nova. First, about passing rate of Naplex. They have over 230 students not including international students. This is the reason why the Passing rate is a little lower the score is rated based on 300+ students.

Secondly, teachers at Nova really cares about students because it is part of their jobs. They are evaluated at the end of each year and those reports did affect how teachers' method of teaching. Classes are not big after first semester. Professor knows your name very well too.

Another thing you have not thought about Nova is that they are also a research institute. That means that students will have opportunity to involve in research with faculty. It is a big plus. They have a very huge gym center and it is free.

Again, to manage a big school is not as easy as manage small school. You have to take this into account. Nova has been here for much longer than PBA, and they have a lot of connections to hospitals, sites, and jobs.

Excuse me if I make grammar mistakes, I am just writing a quick response. Hope it helps you somehow.