Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any Floridians?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmacy Princess, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Hello SDN community! I am a pre - pharm looking to apply to only Florida pharm schools ;). In your opinion, what Florida pharmacy school is the best... not only in terms of stats!:soexcited:
    Thanks to all who answer.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Peterpiper1

I would advise against going into Pharmacy in the first place.

With 8 schools in the state (some within a 100 miles of each other) and more on the way, Florida has one of the worst oversaturation problems in the country.

Go on, tell me how you have 100000+ hours worked in a Pharmacy with a 4.0 GPA and happen to be the the CEO of CVS’s daughter, therefore finding a job would be no problem for you. /s

4. BigBoss

2+ Year Member

The school you go to doesn't matter. What matters is if you can secure a job after graduation.

5. Hello Peterpiper1 and BigBoss!!!
    I prefer not to argue but profoundly respect your opinions. ;)

6. RedRabbit5

Pharmacy Student
    Hi. I'm a 1st year pharm student at a Florida school. I'll tell you my thoughts after each interview.

USF- I enjoyed the interview and I felt that the students were really welcoming of each to other. I personally would have gone there if I got accepted.
    Nova (West palm beach campus)- Interview was okay but it was similar to USF. Small student body but everyone knew each other and got a long really well.
    UF- I enjoyed UF the least. The dean's message was about talking how UF was one of the best schools. Also some of the students felt like they were the best. Its true that UF is a top pharmacy school, but the student body was not as friendly as USF or Nova in my opinion. They gave us free food though!

Hope this helps!

Pharmacy Princess and manan982 like this.
  7. Cool !
    Which one did you choose?

8. Did you apply to PBA? I heard it is in the West Palm beach area and I heard it is pretty good.

9. RedRabbit5

Pharmacy Student
    Yup I'm at UF. Financially, it was better because I can stay at home and tuition is pretty cheap. ~20k a year.

I did not apply to PBA. The school didn't appeal to me and tuition is really expensive. 36k a year, not including cost of living. Not worth it in my opinion.

10. That's great! I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your choice :).
    Is it difficult to earn good grades.. do you feel the classes are more challenging? :prof:

11. RedRabbit5

Pharmacy Student
    I'll say that the pharmacy program at UF is a totally different beast compared to undergrad. There is so much information you need to learn for a 5 question quiz. If you thought undergrad was simple, you'll struggle here. The second half of the first semester hit me like a truck and kept punching me while I was down. UF even recommends that you focus mainly on school and don't work. If you have to work, they recommend only work 10 hours a week.
    But I'll say what my friend said who's in the medical program at UF. It sucks terribly, you get no sleep and have no life... but its so much fun
    Good grades are possible, but are difficult to get due to the workload.

#10 RedRabbit5, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  12. I shall keep this mind. Thank you for your time :);)