Any Good books (like a "Medschool for Dummies") for up and coming first years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
velo said:
...You're the fat man aren't you?...

Well, I'm kind of stocky and I'll never be as svelt as I was twenty years ago but it's not like I have man-titties or a beer gut.

Members don't see this ad.

Law2Doc said:
You will soon have more stuff to read than you ever wanted. Relax over the summer and don't worry about med school until it starts.

Most everyone gives this advice. But is this the right advice for me?

I have been out of the school for three years. I just feel like I need to start studying at least a little to get into the habit of it. Right now, i don't even think I can sit at a desk for 2 hours and study.

I have started going through the MCAT book. Any recommendations as per to what books would be good?

Thanks

Panda Bear said:
Well, I'm kind of stocky and I'll never be as svelt as I was twenty years ago but it's not like I have man-titties or a beer gut.

But you do tell it like it is and plan on cleansing the colon's of the stars right?

at least 1 for 2 I suppose...

Members don't see this ad :)
dogangel said:
Hi everyone
I am starting medschool this august :oops: and I was wondering if there were any good books to help with the transition into meschool, something like "Medschool for Dummies"? :confused:

-GWU class of 2010
Before medical school:

Book #1
Book #2

After medical school:

Book #1
Book #2

I bought the Bates Pocket Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking...its an easy read and really practical if you are going to see patients your first year.

Yea Bergman really had it tough.

Who wouldn't be lining up for orgies with hot chicks in the days before herpes and HIV?

House of God shouldn't be required reading. It has about has much validity as Gray's Anatomy.

chrisjohn said:

Who wouldn't be lining up for orgies with hot chicks in the days before herpes and HIV?

House of God shouldn't be required reading. It has about has much validity as Gray's Anatomy.

Yeah, it's like watching "Patch Adams" to help yourself prepare for medical school.

chrisjohn said:

It should only be required reading for those who actually have a sense of humor.

Panda Bear said:
Yeah, it's like watching "Patch Adams" to help yourself prepare for medical school.

"Patch Adams" may not be helpful, but I would highly recommend watching "Gross Anatomy" prior to taking the course.

OSUdoc08 said:
It should only be required reading for those who actually have a sense of humor.

I'm not going argue about my sense, or lack, of humor.

Just didn't identify with a Harvard red hot going through residency scrogging everything around coupled with a wonderfully understanding, supportive, and hot girlfriend vacationing in France letting him suck olive oil from her nipples. Come on people, most of the book is an adolescent sexual fantasy.

Members don't see this ad :)
chrisjohn said:
I'm not going argue about my sense, or lack, of humor.

Just didn't identify with a Harvard red hot going through residency scrogging everything around coupled with a wonderfully understanding, supportive, and hot girlfriend vacationing in France letting him suck olive oil from her nipples. Come on people, most of the book is an adolescent sexual fantasy.

Are you gay?

PoorMD said:
the summer before med school I read "Intern Blues" and I must say it was one of the better reads of my life.. I highly recommend it.

Intern Blues was one of the worst books i've ever read!! All those interns were total pansies and Bob Marion is absolutely no better. he has another book called "Learning to Play God" where he pretty much just chronicles all the crying he did through internship. medschool life/pediatric residency just isn't that hard!!

house of god is pretty fun/funny. definitely worth a read.

drvechman said:
Intern Blues was one of the worst books i've ever read!! All those interns were total pansies and Bob Marion is absolutely no better. he has another book called "Learning to Play God" where he pretty much just chronicles all the crying he did through internship. medschool life/pediatric residency just isn't that hard!!

house of god is pretty fun/funny. definitely worth a read.

Yeah, the "Intern Blues" was pretty bad..

"Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Conner, MD is one of my favorites, along with "House of God."

OSUdoc08 said:
Are you gay?

My wife got a kick out of that one.

It's apropos that you dig Melvin Konner. He's an arrogant potzer.

OMFSCardsFan said:
Before medical school:

Book #1
Book #2

After medical school:

Book #1
Book #2

:laugh: :laugh: I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that. What's the saying? "The more you have to conserve the more conservative you become". Who knows.

House of God should be read for entertainment & humor (if you still have some. If not then you definitely need to read it!)

Others I have read with varying degrees of recommendation:
A Not Entirely Benign Procedure (this was probably the best of this type)
Intern Blues (interesting to read the struggles these people claim to go through, then deny later...what's up with that?)
White Coat (a lot of people hated this but I thought it gave a good general overview of things to come)
Becoming a Doctor (its a bit out of date, and he's arrogant, but gives some interesting perceptions)
Mountains Beyond Mountains (not about medical school but definitely about medicine)
My Favorite:
The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd contribute for once instead of just lurking :)

I'm reading this excellent book called "How to Excel in Medical School." It's almost like a little textbook (I'm taking notes) on the study tactics needed to survive med school. And it has study tactics specific to each preclinical course! It's a pretty new book (CR 2003) and has great advice. Sounds perfect for what the OP is looking for.
Authors: Norma Saks, Ed.D. & Mark Saks, M.D., M.P.H.

dragonmate said:
Hi everyone,
Thought I'd contribute for once instead of just lurking :)

I'm reading this excellent book called "How to Excel in Medical School." It's almost like a little textbook (I'm taking notes) on the study tactics needed to survive med school. And it has study tactics specific to each preclinical course! It's a pretty new book (CR 2003) and has great advice. Sounds perfect for what the OP is looking for.
Authors: Norma Saks, Ed.D. & Mark Saks, M.D., M.P.H.

I was reccommended 'Success Types for Medical Students" by Pelley. It's out of print, so I bought it from the MTBI site. It uses the MTBI personality test to show where your weak spots may be when studying in med school (some types are stronger in one area than another). It also has good tips for studying.

I'm going to have to disagree with "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." That was like watching a bad British sitcom - lots of people talking for no reason, little action, and the ending is anticlimatic.

To all you crazy fools :scared: who think you just have to read a book or do something educational during the summer before you even start medical school why not check out this book (link below). I saw it today when I was browsing the medical/nerd section at my local public library during a Step 1 study break (a nice change of venue from the med school library -- I think I get pseudo-PTSD every time I walk into that hellhole).

The book is full of fancy pictures and cool computer renderings, which is good because words are way overrated. It has a bunch of good facts and easy-to-understand explanations.
Make no mistake, you're not going to be a super-gunner acing all your first year classes after reading it, but you might actually learn something while flipping through a book that looks pretty interesting -- and if you don't find the info in it to be interesting, you may want to seriously reconsider your career choice.

here's a link on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385509294/002-4496869-2999235?v=glance&n=283155

This was hilarious...

Before medical school:

Book #1
Book #2

After medical school:

Book #1
Book #2