Any graduating UCLA students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdwardKim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any UCLA pre-dental students who are going to a dental school next year? :)

I would like to ask you some questions, since I need a great amount of mentor who will help me understand the field of dentistry as well as what to do as a pre-dental.

I know general idea of what to do, but I would love to hear more from UCLA specific successful pre-dentals.

Please let me know!

Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Any UCLA pre-dental students who are going to a dental school next year? :)

I would like to ask you some questions, since I need a great amount of mentor who will help me understand the field of dentistry as well as what to do as a pre-dental.

I know general idea of what to do, but I would love to hear more from UCLA specific successful pre-dentals.

Please let me know!

Thank you guys.

I'm graduating from UCLA but im not going to their dental school (As of this point..no word yet). But I did get into Western...it is a new school but I'm happy I got in somewhere at least. Would have done a couple of things differently if I was applying again (LIKE APPLYING EARLY!). Lol. But seriously let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
yah I go to UCLA and graduating class of 10

You should join PDSOP, and ask some of the more experienced members for advice. You can also ask the officers, who are always willing to talk if you approach them. You can also listen to and personally talk to the many speakers that come to meetings throughout the year, including dental students and deans of admissions.

join PDSOP. it's definitely not necessary, but if you need guidance, they will provide it. it can provide you with a better understanding of dentistry along with opportunities to become a more competitive applicant. if you're free on tuesdays at i think 6pm in kinsey somewhere, you should join the club and be an active member. everyone is pretty friendly and questions are always welcome.

as ucladds101 said, there's plenty of speakers, food at times, and volunteer opportunities. they'll be heading to the cda conference in anaheim spring quarter - always a fun experience to get to know other pre-dents and get free stuff! the officers are really friendly as well and are fairly knowledgable about the application process. i was on the board last year. if you have any questions, just pm me. good luck!

2 cents of ucla-specific advice for you

1. PDSOP, don't miss the big meetings!

2. research (any dept) if you haven't started

3. do the 80 volunteer hours at the dental school -- i didn't, but i heard it's a great way to get an "in" with a lot of the faculty there and gain a lot of exposure to dentistry. do it at the dental school, not with at the main hospital w the premeds!

4. google "Mark Hunt", he teaches these pre-dental laboratory technique courses that'll look really good on your resume. denture-making, taking alginate impressions, tooth waxing...

5. one of the premed teams such as EMRA or stroke study or stroke force -- really really good clinical experience in the ER at ronald regan. gave me a lot of exp working with patients, discussed working in a hospital at all my interviews, discussed clinical research ("from the bench to the clinic")...recruitment for EMRA around now (?) and stroke around weeks 3-4

adding to yayforcoffee's list,

during fall quarter, there should be enrollment for the BDP (Basic Dental Principles) course taught by 3rd year UCLA dental students. they have a separate lecture and a lab course that meets about every other week during both winter and spring quarters. If you have a few more years at ucla, i would try to get in. lecture is fairly easy to get into, but lab is getting more and more popular as space is limited by the amount of dental students available to help us and seats in the simlab(you have to take the lecture course first before you can sign up for lab the next year). you learn a very basic summary of what 1st year ucla dental students would learn, and in lab you actually use a handpiece to do various preps on typodont teeth, wax, make casts, take impressions, etc. it isn't graded and doesn't appear on ursa or anything. it's simply an extracurricular that counts as "dental experience" on aadsas/resume. they do have easy quizes after each lecture/lab to see if you were paying attention. I HIGHLY recommend taking it if you can as it is probably one of the most informative/useful/unique and fun pre-dent courses that you probably can't find anywhere else in the nation. i personally felt way more knowledgable as a pre-dent than i did before after taking it. it's a perk for being a ucla undergrad and you don't want to miss out on this opportunity. if you get into the lab portion, you also have the option to receive 4 units of P/NP (DENT 199) if you need upper division elective units to graduate. if you want the contact for this year's bdp coordinators, pm me.

Last edited:
To comment on some of the other suggestions:

1. The 80 hour General Clinic Volunteer Program at UCLA Dental School can either be a valuable networking tool or a relative waste of time. The responsibilities that the supervisors now delegate to the volunteers can be minimal. So if you're stuck in a position doing boring administrative work that isn't worthwhile, you have two options: (1) just quit the program or (2) don't be afraid and speak up and say to your supervisor, "Do you think there is anything in the clinic I can do?" It'll take a little courage and be ready in case of rejection, but the networking opportunities with students and professors in the clinic are invaluable.
  2. Basic Dental Principles is probably the best thing that UCLA School of Dentistry offers undergrads (aside from research opportunities). Take advantage of this resource. You really do learn a lot in the class and in the lab.
  3. It would be wise to join PDSOP, particularly this year if you haven't already. The officers have plans of instituting some new additions to the club for next year, possibly including a clinical internship program. Just a heads up.

I am going to join UCLA dental volunteer during winter or spring quarter! And pre-dental club next yr fall!