any help would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DcD88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation:
This year I applied late to Med school. primary verfied in August, I had a cgpa of 3.15 and sgpa of 3.23 with MCAT 35 (14p, 11b, 10v). Since i applied so late and my low gpa I have decided to withdraw for this year and apply early next year, with my gpa hopefully boosted to 3.3 for overall and science.

My question is: Should I do an SMP for the gap year? or should are there some other options for me in the gap year? Any help would be appreciated, especially those of you already in med school and those of you who have also gone through this SMP route.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

yes
unless your interested in D.O schools
then yes
a smp
would help you alot if you can manage to do well in it
but if you've got that high of a mcat its obvious that your likely a very competent individual =p

other then that
i think you've got a decent shot anyway at a low tier md school with a 3.3 + 35 mcat if you apply broadly

so yah..
my opinion would be the smp and get as high of a gpa as you can if you dont want to go to a D.O school

SMP would get give you the best chance but it is also a last ditch chance. I think I would try and take enough classes to get my GPA over a 3.4. I would load up all yr long and even the summer in an informal postbac.

Do the calculations and decided if you can get that high of a GPA. If not, think about the SMP....

Also, make sure your ECs are in line too!!