Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarleyAspenBuffy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am hoping to apply to either medical school or doctor of osteopathy school and was wondering if I stand a chance at all. I first applied five and six years ago with a science gpa of 2.99, and a cumulative gpa of 3.31, along with MCAT scores of 22O, 23Q, and 25. Obviously I was never accepted.

I took a four year break and worked research during that time, and I have now gone back to school full time and have increased my science GPA to a 3.53, and my cumulative GPA to a 3.57. I took the MCAT again, and I received a dismal score of 492. If I retake the MCAT and manage to increase my score to maybe 500 or 502, do I stand a chance of being accepted anywhere, or is my past too much to overlook?

Current breakdown:
cumulative GPA 3.57
science GPA 3.53
non-science GPA 3.63
MCAT 402 :(
4 years research at non-profit lab
1 year research through a University

Bachelor of Science - Medical Biology
Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Studies
Minor History
Minor Psychology

Thank you so much for any help you can give!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing anyone can tell you that can give you a remote chance of getting into med school unless you get that MCAT up to AT LEAST a 511

You could receive interviews at some DO schools if you increase your MCAT to at least 498. Your recent score of 492 is actually your worst of your 4 scores. In the old MCAT 22 is equivalent to the new 494, 23 to 496 and 25 to 500. You just need to replicate that 25 you received on the old MCAT years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with increasing your MCAT score significantly. I also do not see any mention of shadowing or what if any medical and non-medical volunteering you have done. If all you have is what is listed in your original post then your chances even at DO schools, even with an improved MCAT are minimal. Research really doesn't matter much, it's to satisfy knowing you have a foundation with the scientific method and how studies are conducted.

Taking the MCAT for a 5th time won't likely make a difference. Even if you were able to get a high score, you have 4 more at points that cluster near the bottom of the scale. They'll just see a high score as an outlier. At this point, I suspect that medical school may not be in the cards for you. Good job on improving your GPA, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone.

I am hoping to apply to either medical school or doctor of osteopathy school and was wondering if I stand a chance at all. I first applied five and six years ago with a science gpa of 2.99, and a cumulative gpa of 3.31, along with MCAT scores of 22O, 23Q, and 25. Obviously I was never accepted.

I took a four year break and worked research during that time, and I have now gone back to school full time and have increased my science GPA to a 3.53, and my cumulative GPA to a 3.57. I took the MCAT again, and I received a dismal score of 492. If I retake the MCAT and manage to increase my score to maybe 500 or 502, do I stand a chance of being accepted anywhere, or is my past too much to overlook?

Current breakdown:
cumulative GPA 3.57
science GPA 3.53
non-science GPA 3.63
MCAT 402 :(
4 years research at non-profit lab
1 year research through a University

Bachelor of Science - Medical Biology
Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Studies
Minor History
Minor Psychology

Thank you so much for any help you can give!!!
Can you verify...did you mean to write that our MCAT was a 482, a 492 or a 502?????