Any Hints for ANGLES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i already know that i should first identify the largest and smallest angle. Are there anymore strategies or exercises that i can go through to get better at this section, i'm having a tough time with some of the problems.

Members don't see this ad.

Angles was my weakest part of the PAT. Some of them are off by one measly degree, almost invisable without a protrator. What I did was I looked at them from far away and kept switching back between the two (assuming you can narrow it down to 2).

Just try to get through the section QUICKLY, you will want to devote time to other sections. It seems likes simple advice, but I think it will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf said:
Thanks guys i think the anlges are a major reason why we don't see many 25+ on PAT.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but the PAT is the reason why we don't see 25+ on the PAT.

Bickle said:
Angles was my weakest part of the PAT. Some of them are off by one measly degree, almost invisable without a protrator. What I did was I looked at them from far away and kept switching back between the two (assuming you can narrow it down to 2).
This is my strategy as well, and here's an unnecessarily wordy description of the specifics, but it might help.

This helps me in making a distinction between 2 angles that are really close.

Flip your eyes as quickly as you can between the 2 angles, and keep your eyes on each angle for about a second before switching quickly back to the next. It ends up kinda looking like one of those cartoons you make by flipping the pages of a notebook on which you've drawn a moving figure or something.

Forget which letter choice goes with which angle; just keep flipping your eyes back and forth. When you finally get an idea of which one is bigger/smaller, slow down your eye-flipping and figure out which letter choice is which from there.

Does this make sense (I hope)?

trypmo ur crazy!

just kdding i do somethign similar by just looking back forth but not tht fast.. and i tend to the look at the "Niche" more often than not.. if the two lines are really close to each other in comparison to the other than you know what it means..

anyone have advice for keyholes? this is usually one of my lower sections. im thinking it may be b/c its the first set of Q's and my mind is not warmed up as it is on subsequent sections. anyways, id appreciate a tip for this section of the pat.

mg777 said:
anyone have advice for keyholes? this is usually one of my lower sections. im thinking it may be b/c its the first set of Q's and my mind is not warmed up as it is on subsequent sections. anyways, id appreciate a tip for this section of the pat.

Look for fine lines, i.e. subtle curves, gentle slopes, etc. Be suspicious of easy answers that are almost begging you to pick them. More often than not they are a trap. I developed an approach in which tried to imagine what the figure looked like from three sides: Top, Bottom, and a side view. It's similar to the hidden view - dotted line portion of the PAT.

For angles, I think the best strategy is to practice as much as possible. On a more technical note, people often have problems with angles that unequal length legs. Something to remember, when you extend that line out, the angle is bigger than is appears with the short leg.

Heres my angle approach strategy: 1)identify the smallest and the largest angles first, then look at the answers, if you see two answers that match your judgment, the you come back to the angles and find the second largest and smallest angles. I got 20 for PAT, not great, but above average (17)

Most important, put you hands on as many problems as you can!