any hope??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Larzmess8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i graduated in may took the dats last month
aa 20
ts 21
bio 21
gc 19
oc 23
rc 20
qr 17
pat 20

my gpa was a 2.78 im taking biochem, and a 2 other bio courses a local college and probably others next semester assumming i do very well does anyone think ill get into a school. I live in ny so im shooting for NYU plan on applying in june.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your DAT results are fine, but I don't see you getting in with that GPA - you have to get As on all your courses until you apply imo. Even with that, you might even have to look into a masters program/ post-bac depending on what happens and how high your GPA goes after the rest of your undergrad courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree; anything below 3.0 will be difficult getting acceptance.

I would call schools such as nyu and bu to see what you would have to do in order to be a competative applicant. Those are probably the only two schools that you have the greatest shot at.

Good luck and hang tough; nothing is impossible.

It depends on the difficulty of your major? The hardship that you've endured? The challenges that you've faced? Your DAT score is high and I congrat you for that and yes your GPA is not all that great but bare in mind that dental schools will look at you as whole person. Work on your essay and talk about your volunterr works and show them that you are passionate. One can take minimum requirements for dental school at an easy college and with an easy instructor and have 4.0. Your DAT scores are clear indication that you can finish the dental school. They are clear indication that you had to overcome some obstacles when you were at the college and that is why you have the GPA that you have. Talk about them in your essay in a positive way...exp, I managed to get my bachelor's in chemistry despite of all the hardship that I...
last but not least, you are better of than a lot of other candidates with LOW GPA and LOW DAT

Keep yo head UP!

lol did i read someone say "NYU" , U NEED TO BE OUT OF UR MIND to think nyu would take anyone or even consider anyone with a gpa less than 3.5 better yet a 2.9 ???????????????????? , no offense, but if u apply to nyu, considering that they take around 25 students a year, i can only say, DREAM ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

well ppl are just going by last years stats and NYU had an average enrollment of 3.1 overall... if im not mistaken....

lol did i read someone say "NYU" , U NEED TO BE OUT OF UR MIND to think nyu would take anyone or even consider anyone with a gpa less than 3.5 better yet a 2.9 ???????????????????? , no offense, but if u apply to nyu, considering that they take around 25 students a year, i can only say, DREAM ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Some one with a 3.5 is likely to gain acceptance to other schools in addition to NYU; thus he/she will have an opportunity to attend a school that is a lot cheaper compared to NYU and in most cases this student goes the alternative route.

Although the point about NYU getting more competative is well made and true.

1) NYU takes like 250 students a year. 2) Im guessing it makes you feel good too put other people down. (Hence why i was told too avoid this forum).

1) NYU takes like 250 students a year. 2) Im guessing it makes you feel good too put other people down. (Hence why i was told too avoid this forum).

1) He's being sarcastic
2) See point 1

Let's all calm down, it was just a joke, obviously.

What's wrong with this guy? I wonder if he can say the same thing to someone with low GPA like 2.9 who actually did get into NYU dental. Yeah it's low but being critical and being an ass are easy to differentiate. Does he think he's on the admissions committee or something? Even if he were, that was so uncalled for.

I mean... doesn't he wanna become a dentist? Where is his compassion? I don't know his stats, but I can already tell you, his mouth is a big turn-off if I were an admissions director. He should think twice before saying such a thing. Even if what he said were all true, there are ways to say things. He should learn that grade school manner before going to dental school!

hey larzmess8, i have pretty much similar stat as u when i applied last year.with 2.95cumulative/ 2.85 science. i have a BS in Computer Science , 20aa, 21 ts, 22pat but get no interview. i've been in teh master program in chemistry for a year now and my master gpa is 3.6 however that only bring my over gpa to 3.02. i have taken over 300 units so raising my over gpa is out of the question. i applied again this year with 15 school but so far nothing but rejections. your stats are pretty much same as mine last year so getting an interview will be extremely difficult.

Say you had a 2.8 GPA overall and a lower Science....but didn't want to do post-bac, what ridiculous DAT score would you have to get to be considered by schools? 26+?

Anything under 3 is a tough sell. Heck, 3.5 is the standard now. I say 22+ for DAT is competitive enough, but some schools worry about their ranking so they will shy away from those with low GPAs. Of course, you have the 3.8-4.0 to balance you out. However, how many of those 250 NYU acceptances have <3.0 GPA? I don't think you should play russian roulette with the application process. Being average is being risky already, but being below average is just an awful predicament. GPA & DAT get you the interview...I just hope your other areas can spark an interest of someone on the admission committee who believes in you enough and who has enough pull to get an interview for you.