any hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w110djj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am a fifth year senior due to switching majors a few times and a deployment with the army. I am mainly applying to all DO schools at the end of this year hopefully, with the only MD school where I attend undergrad in ohio at WSU. My GPA has fallen to a 3.3 overall however I am working very hard to raise this as much as possiable. I do not have alot of volunteer work outside of the army for 3 years nor research however I am going to try and boost this however i can asap. Every day is a 12 to 15 hour day for me because aside from school I am a corporate manager at t-mobile USA and work 40 + hours a week plus and taking all my premed reqs. I have mainly gotten b's in these however on course to get A's in physics and chem this quarter. I have strong letters of req from Doc's but I know this isnt good enough. I have been told that medical schools really like to see you working in undergrad but aside from the army I feel that this is the only strength to my application. Cutting back work is currently not an option for me due to bills and other extraneous circumstances so my load is very heavy. If I were to get accepted into a medical school I have already spoken to the ARMY and I would be taking HPSP.

I posted because I wanted to know everyones thoughts and options as well as recommendations.

thank you I truely appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

I have also been a undergrad teaching assistant for anatomy and physiology for a year also

Without an MCAT score, it's difficult to guess at your chances. It is good that you recognize the need to raise your GPA and are working toward that, as the median acceptee GPA for DO schools is 3.45. The median MCAT score is 25.5.

If you have a doctor's LOR, you must be doing some shadowing, hopeully with a DO physician as a number of DO schools require a DO letter (though others take MD letters, too). You don't really mention clinical experience which will be very important/essential to your application. I do not refer to shadowing, but rather active up front and personal interactions with sick folks, where you are doing something to help them. Most gain this experience with hospital/clinic/nursing home volunteering, but you can also acquire it via employment or clinical research.

Your teaching experience will be of value on your application. Research would be nice, but isn't required. Your active military service doubtless provided many leadership opportunities (in addition to your current managerial position). I personally consider active military to be an altruistic activity that should compensate for a lack of community service.

SDN has an active comminity of pre-meds seeking entry to DO schools, so also check out the Pre-Med Osteopathic Forum.