any info on houston area fp programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnthestreak

master of disaster
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
does anyone have any info on houston area fp programs (memorial, conroe, baytown, ut houston, etc.)
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

johnthestreak said:
hey everyone,
does anyone have any info on houston area fp programs (memorial, conroe, baytown, ut houston, etc.)
thanks

I am from Houston and can safely tell you that they all suck!! Check the program in Conroe and in Baytown, both about 30 minutes outside Houston. Otherwise, Texas is crap for FP programs IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
PACtoDOC said:
I am from Houston and can safely tell you that they all suck!! Check the program in Conroe and in Baytown, both about 30 minutes outside Houston. Otherwise, Texas is crap for FP programs IMO.

I'm no expert...but I think the Tyler and Waco (McClennan Co.) programs are pretty solid. JPS in Fort Worth, too.

csmith1 said:
I'm no expert...but I think the Tyler and Waco (McClennan Co.) programs are pretty solid. JPS in Fort Worth, too.

Waco is probably the best in the state, but you have to live in Waco for God's sake!!!! :eek:

Not sure about Tyler but I have heard a mixed bag of reviews both good and bad about it.

JPS is unparalleled regarding autonomy but didactics are weak. Plus, every day you come home you feel like you need to bathe in bleach before you touch your kids!! :eek: Its like playing Russian roulette with Hep C, HIV, and TB instead of a pistol!!

I'll take a nice community unopposed program any day!!

I interviewed at Memorial and St. Joe's and ended up ranking Memorial one. I haven't started there, so I can only give you my impressions from a 4th year student's point of view. So as you know, Memorial an unopposed FM residency in a tertiary hospital in Houston. They have 3 clinics that target urban, suburban, and rural communities. They do one month of OB at LBJ and a couple of rotations at Polly Ryon. Call is arranged based on available residents. To my understanding all call consists of you admitting FP (adult/pedi), ICU, or OB. So even if you're on a surgery rotation during the day, you'll be seeing typical medicine/pedi patients while on call. The residents all seem really cool and laid back to me. They have an awesome lounge and the faculty members according to other interviewees who externed are really good preceptors. Residents have mentioned that faculty wants to make the program more academic with more didactics or something like that. They're also working with getting better continuity OB numbers, continuity FP outpatient-inpatient as well as trying to incorporate Uro/Ophtho into the curriculum per RRC. Their ABFM board scores aren't terribly impressive. That's all I remember off the top of my head.

St. Joes was ok. It's an opposed community program that has a pretty cush call schedule. Lots of FMGs/IMGs. Sees mostly Medicine patients both in the hospital and in clinics. They're opposed on OB and Surgery and there are Transitional residents also and have difficulties with OB numbers. Pedi rotates through TCH so it's opposed as well. They're reducing their residents from 8 to 6 and Methodist Hospital is joining St Joes in allowing internal medicine residents to rotate through the hospital with private medicine attendings. According to them, this affects the electives/subspecialty rotations more so than the inpatient service. Surgery runs the codes. They have an open ICU system, where residents on the FP/Med service cover both ICU and the floor. Residents seemed nice but I wasn't terribly impressed. Lots of faculty turnover in the past. Mmm... that's all I can remember.

I liked JPS. My impressions are posted on another thread called ROL 3 or 4.