any international optometrists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an international student from Korea.
I was wondering if I can practice Optometry in the states after graduating from US optometry school.
More specifically, is it common for international graduates to get hired and work with H-1 visa in the states?
I look forward to hearing any inputs from you.
Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi There,

I am not sure about the H1 status, but basically you have to take the 3 parts examination here in the U.S first and pass them before you can practice. I hope this helps.

An Hi B visas are usually given for high demand technical workers. As it stands now, you may come in to get educated but I doubt that optometry would classify itself as a high demand/short-of-manpower discipline at this time. Remember there are 3 new optometry schools that have opened or will be open in the next year or so.

In addition to work, you will have to have your employer sponsor your H1B. If you leave that employer, and cannot get a new employer to sponsor you or cannot get a new job, then you will have to return to your home country. This makes the H1B visa holder almost an indentured servant to the H1B sponsor.

Members don't see this ad :)
An Hi B visas are usually given for high demand technical workers. As it stands now, you may come in to get educated but I doubt that optometry would classify itself as a high demand/short-of-manpower discipline at this time. Remember there are 3 new optometry schools that have opened or will be open in the next year or so.

In addition to work, you will have to have your employer sponsor your H1B. If you leave that employer, and cannot get a new employer to sponsor you or cannot get a new job, then you will have to return to your home country. This makes the H1B visa holder almost an indentured servant to the H1B sponsor.

I am aware of this information. I am asking how many optometrists who already had H1 visa and got indepedent status now such as hoding a green card.

I am aware of this information. I am asking how many optometrists who already had H1 visa and got indepedent status now such as hoding a green card.

H1B is a non-immigrant visa. There is no way to adjust status (to that of a permanent resident ie: get a green card) from an H1B. Your best bet....marry an American woman.

any korean optometrists who graduated as an international student status?

H1B is a non-immigrant visa. There is no way to adjust status (to that of a permanent resident ie: get a green card) from an H1B. Your best bet....marry an American woman.

According to another thread, your employer can sponsor you for a PR status

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450230

If you get hired in the US into a permanent job (i.e. NOT residency) on an H visa, your employer can sponsor you for permanent residency. This is one of the easiest paths to citizenship. Note I said "easiest", not "easy". This is the major advantage of the H visa. Note that if your H is obtained outside of the cap, this will only work for an employer who is University / Non profit.