any interview experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullet

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are everyone's interviews going?
I have my first one in two days, and I have NO idea what to expect!
What are the most common questions that are being asked?
I'm getting kind of nervous now!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been on 3 interviews so far and they've all been about the same. Basically, they have you interview with 5 to 8 people usually 1/2 hr at each interview. In my experience the interviewer usually spends the first 20-25 minutes talking about their program and their roles in it, and then the last part of the interview is for your questions. No one has really asked me any tough questions, or even any questions that specific to my application. No talk about your most interesting case or what are strengths/weaknesses. Mostly I've been asked where do I see myself in 10 years;academic vs private; which field of path do you like the most, stuff like that... Really benign so far, very laid back. Anyways, good luck and I hope all goes well.

I have actually finished 12 interviews. What Bigler says went for virtually all of them.

Mindy

Good Luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had 7 interviews so far and they've all been low-key. The most difficult question I've gotten so far was, "What do you think will be your greatest challenge during residency?" Another thing to look out for is be prepared to ask a lot of questions about the program. I've had some interviews where I asked more questions than the interviewer. It definitely helps to know the interviewer's background in order to be able to ask intelligent questions and to get meaningful answers. If you can get an itinerary before your interview I would recommend checking out their website to find out who's who. The residents, of course, are the best source of information for the nuts and bolts things. Every interview is different though, so the best advice is to just go with the flow. Good luck with your interviews, bullet!

What questions did you guys ask about the programs?

I need more to fill my head with so I can ask more.