Any Int'l students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fififiona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my biochemistry degree in Hong Kong. Do I have any chance to do med in the US? (PS I am not a US citizen)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing my biochemistry degree in Hong Kong. Do I have any chance to do med in the US? (PS I am not a US citizen)
tough, very tough

I'm not a US citizen either and just finished MD school in the US. It took me 3 tries to get in and I had a 3.9 undergrad GPA with 34S MCAT.

GasCCM, did you go to college in the us?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that's extremely difficult unless you get your bachelor degree in U.S. How come you didn't choose to study medicine at your University in Hong Kong? I thought you guys go directly into medicine after F.7.

Not all of US medical schools accept international students.

For the ones which accept international students: Have same requirements like US students: US bachelor degree +MCAT+ EC+LOR + tears and luck:D

actually i didn't get into hku med after f.7, so i m juz looking for med schools outside hk to do graduate-entry med.
do anyone of u know which places on the earth that shall i go to?

actually i didn't get into hku med after f.7, so i m juz looking for med schools outside hk to do graduate-entry med.

fifiFiona (makes me think of the singer fiona in HK, lol), it really comes down to which country you will enjoy spending ~10 years or more taking college and med school. My cousins went to either UK/Canada/Australia from HK.

However, if you are desparate for med school, I would recommend that you come to the U.S. because there are >120 M.D. schools and ~30 D.O. schools available. One of my friends from Hong Kong is doing the same thing as you. First, you will attend a U.S. community college for two years and then move to a 4-year University here to get your bachelor degree. With your bachelor degree, you can take the MCAT and do what you need to do to apply for medical school here. You can always return to Hong Kong and apply for HK license if you prefer to practice medicine there in the future after med school here. Hope this helps.

If you really want to consider U.S., a good state would be California either in LA or SF because it will be easier for you to adapt due to a large population of Asians reside there.

GasCCM, did you go to college in the us?

Yes, I left Hong Kong after F.6 and headed straight for college. I did my undergrad and Master's at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.

Not all of US medical schools accept international students.

For the ones which accept international students: Have same requirements like US students: US bachelor degree +MCAT+ EC+LOR + tears and luck:D

That's true. Basically you are barred from applying to all states funded medical schools, except UCSF. Even some private schools like Rush and NYU won't take international applicants, even if the apps had a US degree.

In the US, MD/DO are considered as UNDERGRADUATE level medicine, so it's not an accelerated track like those post-grad programs in the UK. You'll still end up doing 4 years of medical school here. It's tough to get in as an international student even if you went to school here. I know people that went to Hopkins and ended up back in Hong Kong doing their MBBS.

If you were looking to do the graduate level entry path, look at the Commonwealth programs (UK, Aus).

Yes, I left Hong Kong after F.6 and headed straight for college. I did my undergrad and Master's at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.

Wow, why Wisconsin? Is it tough for u to stay there for 4-5 years with no good Chinese food (lol, that's what I think of immediately)? You actually went directly into University of Wisconsin? That would be very impressive cuz most foreign students went through community college first. Did you happen to take either SAT or TOFEL in Hong Kong so that you can go into a 4-year university directly?

Wow, why Wisconsin? Is it tough for u to stay there for 4-5 years with no good Chinese food (lol, that's what I think of immediately)? You actually went directly into University of Wisconsin? That would be very impressive cuz most foreign students went through community college first. Did you happen to take either SAT or TOFEL in Hong Kong so that you can go into a 4-year university directly?
Yes, I did. I took TOEFL and SAT I before applying to colleges in the US. Most of the people that I met in Madison were direct admit from F.6 or F.7. There weren't many transfers.

I actually stayed in WI for 7 years. It sucks that there's no good Chinese / Japanese food there, but some how I made it out ok. We would go to Arlington Heights near Chicago for good Japanese groceries at Mitsuwa though (you should be very familiar with this chain being in LA :)). The reason why I went Madison is that when I applied to college, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do microbiology vs biomedical engineering. Since Madison has a world class microbiology program and a very decent engineering school, I decided to go there instead of UMich and USC.