LightRx3

5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2010
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello everyone,

Is anyone aware of any case where an applicant is accepted into a pharmacy school with a missing prerequisite, perhaps just one? Are there any alternative solutions or accommodations?

Thank you guys!

Notecard

5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would have to guess no. Especially if it's science/math. If it's an elective hopefully you took something similar enough to argue the case that it is relevant enough to take its place. Also if it's an elective you can take it over the summer for most schools and still have your application considered.

monkieez

@(^_^)@
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
you can be accepted with miss prerequisites. but the acceptance is conditional that you will finish your prereqs before either the end of the spring semester or the end of summer semester depending on the school. pharmacy schools have such an excess of applicants that if you get accepted and don't fufill the prereq, they'll just take someone off their waitlist. however if you took something related you should talk to the individual schools

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello everyone,

Is anyone aware of any case where an applicant is accepted into a pharmacy school with a missing prerequisite, perhaps just one? Are there any alternative solutions or accommodations?

Thank you guys!
The situations in which this happen are either (1) conditional acceptance (i.e., you get accepted before you complete the course but are expected to have it prior to matriculation or graduation, depending on the school) or (2) special circumstances that make the prerequisite ridiculous. For instance, I have a BA in English but had only 3 credits of composition (the rest of my courses were Literature classes). Colorado requires 6 credits of composition, but I was not asked to go back and complete a second course. This sort of exception is also seen in cases when a prerequisite is too old. For instance, if you took Physics in the 1980s but have been working as a physicist ever since, you probably don't have to re-take Physics.

OP
L

LightRx3

5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2010
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thank you all for the replies!

The only prerequisite that I may not be able to complete is Anatomy, as it is not offered at my current University. If I am to complete the course, I will have to enroll at a local community college, which is nearly impossible to get in due to the recent implementation of the wait list system. This system, in my opinion, was implemented to prevent external students from competing with internal students for classes (i.e. have a friend that goes to the community college saves a seat for you until you can register).

If anything, I will try to complete the course over summer before matriculation for certain schools that allow it....

Thank you again!

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
Definition of PREREQUISITE: something that is necessary to an end or to the carrying out of a function

You will have to complete it before matriculation, not before application but I would doubt you would be able to get around it completely. Hence why it is a "prerequisite"