Any Lefties out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calculus1

G.V. Black Fan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many of us leftycappeds are out there and if they have any stories about being afflicted. I myself am a lefty and when I was in Organic chem my jr year they would call all the lefties up to the front of the room before an exam so they would know how many lefty desks they needed (very humiliating) :( Anyway, if you're leftarded I want to hear your story.

Members don't see this ad.

At least you guys HAD lefty desks. We had to take 3+ hour engineering exams in lecture halls with the small 8"x8" fold up desks (all on the right side
of course). I'm sure I did some serious damage to my back and neck by
contorting so much for long periods of time!

I'm a lefty too.

Members don't see this ad :)
packbacker said:
At least you guys HAD lefty desks. We had to take 3+ hour engineering exams in lecture halls with the small 8"x8" fold up desks (all on the right side
of course). I'm sure I did some serious damage to my back and neck by
contorting so much for long periods of time!

That's brutal my lefty brother. The only reason we got lefty desks was because there was a disproportionate number of us in our 200 person class. I think enough complained that we got our way(we threatened to call our local Americans W/ Disabilities chapter). However, afterwards they paraded us around like freaks for their own amusement :laugh: .

aphistis said:
I'm a southpaw. It hasn't caused any trouble in dental school that I can think of.
That seems to be what my friends at Baylor have told me too. They(we I guess) have ADEC chairs so there shouldn't be a problem. It's always nice to know you're not alone.

Calculus1 said:
Just curious how many of us leftycappeds are out there and if they have any stories about being afflicted. I myself am a lefty and when I was in Organic chem my jr year they would call all the lefties up to the front of the room before an exam so they would know how many lefty desks they needed (very humiliating) :( Anyway, if you're leftarded I want to hear your story.

i'm proud to be a lefty! i think it's cool, not humiliating! :thumbup: (and that's my left hand!)

Just thinking about it from a non-dentist (yet) point of view, it would seem that the dental assistants would love working with lefties. Their right hand would be in a more natural position when working over someone.

Hey guys,

At Univ. of Toronto, all the lefty seats are on the aisle, so they are the most popular seats......the righties often take them because it's easier to get out...but it's weird they don't feel uncomfortable using left handed seats??????.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

We lefties always have problems using right handed desk for 3 hour exams....

TO-boy

I'm a lefty and my identical twin sister is a righty. She saw me struggle daily to gain acceptance in this world.

Both my sister and I tend to use both our hands equally (writing is the only thing that i do mostly with my right hand and she does it mostly with left); we are otherwise both-handed (what is term for this??)

It has been more advatagous to us rather than anything else and we often enjoy seeing people amazed for our "unique abilities" as they call it... lol... bunch of ignorants...

Ambidexterous. It's a nice trait to have. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am too a lefty (and proud!)

I always notice other lefties too...it's like some sort of secret organization! :laugh:

Hey, I'm off to take my last final (of undergraduate at least)!! Woo Hoo!

I was fully ambidextrous until my elementary teachers for not choosing which hand to write with attacked me. I still do a variety of tasks with both hands without a thought such as eating. I always exchange eating utensils between hands, and I do many tasks solely with my left.

Aaronpsr said:
I am too a lefty (and proud!)

I always notice other lefties too...it's like some sort of secret organization! :laugh:

Hey, I'm off to take my last final (of undergraduate at least)!! Woo Hoo!

Good luck on your exam!!! I just finished yesterday too..... :D :D

In some countries, like India, elementary teachers give you a whacking with a ruler when you use your left hand to write.......I remember I got a couple whacks on my knuckles.....but I didn't and couldn't write with my right hand....I'm glad I refused, I'm PROUD to be a lefty.....

But in dental school do they have special dummies or practice areas for lefties??????

TO-boy

Prefer right hand, but can use both. skillful :cool:

I am a lefty too.
When I was bored in a lecture, I will use my right hand (just to keep myself awake).

Calculus1 said:

I know a few dentists who are lefthanded. One of them is a really good dentist. I think that being left/right handed have nothing to do with being a good dentist.

I'm a lefty too. But I hate lefty desks... I guess I've just sort of adapted to the righty desks.

Take it easy, guys.
It says one of them is really good dentist.
Other lefty dentists are still good.