Any love for UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMPAD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the general take on UVA was on the board. I was impressed and think that their fellowship placement was really very good for a place you don't hear all that much about. Anyone hear any drawbacks about the program (besides being in a smaller town)? Anyone ranking it #1?

Members don't see this ad.

AMPAD said:
Just wondering what the general take on UVA was on the board. I was impressed and think that their fellowship placement was really very good for a place you don't hear all that much about. Anyone hear any drawbacks about the program (besides being in a smaller town)? Anyone ranking it #1?

My sense of the "general take" on UVa was that it's a fantastic place to train, you certainly won't go wrong there. Residents happy, content, and very sharp, program director dynamic, very good educational potential. It's one of those places where you'll come away with a fantastic education, and will have strong fellowship possibilities, but its reputation just can't quite compare with the bigger names. I would classify it as a lower top-tier program, on par with UNC, UCSD, and maybe a half-a notch below Michigan as far as state schools are concerned. I don't think anyone could go wrong at all going to UVa. I also thought their conferences, at least on my interview day, were among the very best I've seen. Very interactive, dynamic feeling there. Some of the knocks on it have been that it is a one-hospital system (which may or may not be a knock depending on whom you talk to, personally I prefer a change of scenery for a couple of months of the year). Charlottesville is as beautiful place as you will find, single people have reported being quite happy there as it is a college town with things going on and DC 2-and-change hours away. But it is a small town, and isn't as happening as a big city obviously. Personal preference there. They also have that unique call system, which I kind of have mixed feelings about. So...bottom line = great program, beautiful place to live, one-hospital system, couldn't go wrong there. I am ranking it highly, not #1, but in the top couple.