Any Manitobans out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akinf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there aren't too many Canadians on these forums, so I am assuming there aren't as many Manitobans either, but I am just wondering if there are any Manitoba med. students out here, or any planning on applying to med. school soon. If there are, don't be shy, show yourselves. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Former Manitoban - grew up in Winnipeg, graduate from HS and went to UT for undergrad. Still qualified as in province for UofM Meds though ;)
Good luck with your apps!

Wertt said:
Former Manitoban - grew up in Winnipeg, graduate from HS and went to UT for undergrad. Still qualified as in province for UofM Meds though ;)
Good luck with your apps!

Are you currently at U of M? If so, what year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually going to UofT for medical school, am in a gap year for now after graduating last year. But UofM is supposed to have a better program than a lot of people give it credit for.

Yea, so I've heard. I'm currently at the U of M and I sometimes wonder about the motives and eligibility of a number the students admitted. But I guess you find that at every school.

akinf said:
I know there aren't too many Canadians on these forums, so I am assuming there aren't as many Manitobans either, but I am just wondering if there are any Manitoba med. students out here, or any planning on applying to med. school soon. If there are, don't be shy, show yourselves. :thumbup:

Hey akinf,

I'm a Manitoban, Winnipegger to be exact. I found out this last monday that I got accepted at the U of M!! I'm now officially part of the class of 2010

Congrats, I am applying this year. Do you go the U of M?

akinf said:
Congrats, I am applying this year. Do you go the U of M?

Thanks buddy. No I finished my undergrad at U of W. So are you waiting for the June 5th acceptance letters....or do you mean you are going to apply this upcoming application cycle?

Did you take your MCAT yet?...

Best of luck to you in everything.

I am applying for Fall 2007 and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am currently taking the Kaplan prep course though, hope it pays off.

akinf said:
I am applying for Fall 2007 and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am currently taking the Kaplan prep course though, hope it pays off.

I took that course 2 years ago. The ACTUAL classes are sooooooo unhelpful. They go so slow and start off at the very basics. It's good if you've been out of school for a while, but JUST coming off doing your degree, it's so "slow" compared to what you already know.

But what makes the course worthwhile is all the material they give you. They give you soooooo many practise tests and full MCAT's and half MCAT's and section specific quizes and section tests....there's just so much material. Which is great for studying of course.

Yea...the classes do kind of suck. But all the stuff, including the internet resources, seem pretty good. I wish they'd just give us the old MCATs instead of photocopying them though. I'm not sure, but is the photocopying free at the U of W library for the MCAT stuff?

akinf said:
Yea...the classes do kind of suck. But all the stuff, including the internet resources, seem pretty good. I wish they'd just give us the old MCATs instead of photocopying them though. I'm not sure, but is the photocopying free at the U of W library for the MCAT stuff?

They photocopy the MCAT's? Didn't they give you a password and username to go online and download the mcat's and all the little section tests and quizes and what not? You can just print them off.

No the photocopying is not free at the U of W library for anything at all.

However, I can sort of help you out. I have a CD with ALL of the kaplan MCAT material and a bunch of AAMC MCAT's and all of the supporting tests and quizes and section stuff for the kaplan stuff. The AAMC ones are the best. If you want, you should come by my house and I can burn you a copy. PM me here. I'll give you my MSN e-mail address or even my cell. If I can help someone out with my stuff, it's all the better....lol...I'm just glad I don't have to take that test again.