Any MCPHS-Boston Grads (or 3rd to 6th years)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Artful Dodger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm mainly concerned about the teachers and style of learning at Boston. I know that the Worcester and Manchester campuses offer a more modern learning approach with satellites, etc. However, I'm wondering if the Boston campus is different. Is it more traditional? If so, that's what I prefer. Also, which campus has the best teachers?

Please describe other experiences with MCPHS-Boston if you may...Thanks!

Note: I was going to post this in the pre-pharm forum, but I think an answer from someone who is experienced will be more beneficial for me.
 
I'm currently a 4th year student at mcphs boston and like with any school I'm sure, their are some great teachers, and some awful ones. Fortunately I have had good experiences with the majority of my teachers

The teaching style at the Boston campus is very traditional. Everything is taught lecture style in classes ranging from 30 to 200. I can't make any comparison to the other campuses because I have never attended any classes there.

The only major problem I have had with that school is the actual size of the school. There are far too many people in such a small school. At times it can be very difficult to find a place just to sit down and study, yet every year they take in more and more people.
 
Agree size is an issue - - but I can't really say it's bothered me that much the past 3 years; thats why they built a billion dollar building 1 block away - its always empty building has rooms, couchs, computers etc all over the building (awesome pizza place next door lol) - - goodluck with 4th year they really pack a heavy punch all year long (2nd semester more so than first with kinetics and virology)-- but it pays off so much after that year I went into this summer working in pharmacies and for the first time I literally felt ready to be a Pharmacist- now this year so far there working more on counseling and patient care; dean just added in at the end of 5th year board prep exams and reviews -- the school really cares and wants its students to succeed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated from there in 2009 and overall I'd say it was a positive experience. There are times where I thought that they were just in it for the money, but education always is what you make out of it. There are some great, great teachers and there are some terrible ones as well. A favorite of mine was Dr. Kelly but she was jettisoned after my first professional year (what a shame, she was one of the best). If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them best I can.

Enjoy it man, school's a lot different from the real world 😆
 
Are you planning to donate money to the school?

I graduated from there in 2009 and overall I'd say it was a positive experience. There are times where I thought that they were just in it for the money, but education always is what you make out of it. There are some great, great teachers and there are some terrible ones as well. A favorite of mine was Dr. Kelly but she was jettisoned after my first professional year (what a shame, she was one of the best). If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them best I can.

Enjoy it man, school's a lot different from the real world 😆
 
Chuckle beast, since you are in the 4 year program, do you have to bank certain work hours on top of your regular P4 rotation hours to sit for Mass. boards?
 
Massachusetts requires a total of 1500 hours before you can be licensed. They allow 1000 of these hours to be obtained through school, IPPE and rotations and so forth.

So I just have to get 500 intern hours on my own which really isn't bad at all if you're working 8 to 10 hours a week.

I think they will take all 1500 hours from school if you go to northeastern because they have their coop program, could be wrong.
 
Thanks Chuckle beast, I actually go to school in NY but looking to practice in New England. I have a couple of friends who went through MCP Boston and liked the program.