Any MD/PhD interview offers yet????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brotherbu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its early, but has anyone heard back with an interview from any MD/PhD program? I completed most of my applications around 7/20, and haven't heard anything. I'm sure their admissions processes take place later on, but I'm getting pretty paranoid right now....

Members don't see this ad.

brotherbu said:
I know its early, but has anyone heard back with an interview from any MD/PhD program? I completed most of my applications around 7/20, and haven't heard anything. I'm sure their admissions processes take place later on, but I'm getting pretty paranoid right now....

I'm pretty sure invites will be sent out a bit later for most schools. Rochester has apparently sent out an invite (according to the pre-allo thread). UT-Houston has as well, but the TX schools are known for sending invites before most others.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet; most program directors are going to take a bit more time.

hope this helps!

brotherbu said:

Well it is going to take a while. Honestly 7/20 is a little bit later in the game, so you might not get the first batch of interviews that are going to start coming out in the next month or so.

If you are paranoid, then make sure that you called all of the programs and made sure that your file is complete with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
hawkeey said:
Well it is going to take a while. Honestly 7/20 is a little bit later in the game, so you might not get the first batch of interviews that are going to start coming out in the next month or so.

If you are paranoid, then make sure that you called all of the programs and made sure that your file is complete with them.

7/20 is later in the game for completion?? Wow...whats early??

Yeah, I checked with all my schools to verify that my application is complete...now what do i do :eek:

oh, don't listen to that guy, he is probably thinking of primary applications or something. You are early for secondaries (I sat on mine 'til Sept/Oct and still interviewed in Nov/Dec). Most schools have a meeting for current students that want to help recruit in September - school is just starting now- and then start interviewing mid-September/October. So, you probably won't hear from most places until Septemberish. Read a book or launch a new experiment or something :p .

Congrats on being efficient and good luck.

brotherbu said:
7/20 is later in the game for completion?? Wow...whats early??

Yeah, I checked with all my schools to verify that my application is complete...now what do i do :eek:

I got one from Rochester. I am not going to interview there until November though (personal circumstances made the september and october interview days impossible for me).

I really would not worry. I was complete at most schools around 7/20 as well. Some a little earlier, some a little later. If you look at the interview threads from previous years you'll see that MSTP interview invites tend to happen around mid-septmber. I didn't bother to start an interview thread because I figured there was no point yet.

We just have to sit tight and hope. :luck:

hawkeey said:

emory JUST sent out their supp. app yesterday and duke still hasnt sent theirs. yea... 7/20 is REAL late.

Well I wouldn't be expecting too many interview offers by 8/15 if you just completed by 7/20. There are people who submit their primaries on 6/1 and are mostly complete by the end of June or the first week of July.

I would expect to get interview offers by mid-September if you are good or a little bit later.

This also depends where you applied. The response time will vary with the number of applications a school receives and when they interview.

I know that Texas schools are preparing to interview right now and are about to send out the first batch of invitations. I believe some of their MD-only interview invitations are already out.

I know this because I was complete around 7/20 thinking that I was pretty early only to discover that many of my friends had been complete a month earlier. MD/PhD applicants are rediculously ruthless and on top of their game with applications. They do this by preparing their primary and secondary applications before June... before they are actually available. The first round of invitations will be usually to those who were completed very early. The other thing is that a lot of people end up being complete around 7/20 which means that you get less attention from the adcoms initially. The lag time in response is significantly greater in comparison to the lag time experience those who had applied earlier. What I am trying to tell you is that completion time is average and you are expecting an early response.

It is also possible to be much later in this whole game... some people have been complete as late as November have still done fine. The biggest problem is that your life becomes very, very difficult as you have less time and flexibility. This is especially true if you are applying as a college senior.

The moral of the story is not to expect the interview invitation right now and also not to panic when some of your friends start receiving invitations. You will receive invitations in due time, but probably not now in August unless your schools start interviews super early.

brotherbu said:

Well you do what all of us did. You wait.

What? You are too anxious just to sit around waiting for a piece of mail or e-mail to come? Guess what, you just found your favorite procrastination tool.

What? Where? You are looking right at it. This very forum will become your way to pass the time while you wait for something to happen.

Also I recommend checking this website: http://www.phdcomics.com

fellow MSTP applicant here. rapidly becoming complete at schools, no interview invites yet. I believe the earliest we might expect to hear is early September -- wash U seems to be on top of their game, advertising that some applicants may receive acceptances as early as November 1st on their website, so I'm looking to them first (of course, I can't get that stupid Dean's Certification form filled out until August 21st, so... )

I just got an invite for UMich today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Teerawit, I have an interview at UMich for the same day! Except you seem way more qualified then I am. I'll see you there though:)

Johns Hopkins just sent out some interview invites.

just got an invite from UCSF (zomg)

nothing from hopkins, though -- word, Teerawit! the website says they begin interviewing 9/21 -- you must be among the first few!

hater

just got an invite from UCSF (zomg)

nothing from hopkins, though -- word, Teerawit! the website says they begin interviewing 9/21 -- you must be among the first few!

hater

u too, ballin w/ UCSF....u r 2 leetsauce for me...gg, no re, pwned, etc.

these posts just make me panic. but they are good to know though ;-)

UCSF and Vanderbilt here

tri-institutional md/phd program at cornell today...

this is my number one choice, so, um, i'm going to go celebrate in some form or fashion. holy jesus.

tri-institutional md/phd program at cornell today...

this is my number one choice, so, um, i'm going to go celebrate in some form or fashion. holy jesus.

congrats man - that's huge! is this for the oct or nov date? still waiting on one damn LOR for cornell...:mad:

edit: nm the question; i saw your mdapps in the pre-md forum

Status: You have been invited to interview for the MDPhD Program.

Contact
Office of Admissions
445 East 69th Street
New York, NY 10021
Telephone: (212) 746-1067
Fax: (212) 746-8052
email: [email protected]

E-mail size: 3 KB

thanks, good luck!

I got the Tri-I interview invite today as well. I still think they are way out of my league, but I am going to give it my all and pray.

Also I've got U.Maryland and SUNY Buffalo

Oh man, this brings back memories of panic from last year. You'll do fine guys; try to relax (I know, I know... you can't). Sometimes things turn out so much better than you think they will, and you'll wish you hadn't freaked out so much in the meantime. :D

My secondaries were complete around 8/21--have interviews at rochester (like lots of you!) and also dartmouth MD/PhD. I flipped when I received the latter offer (my first one!)

I haven't begun to prepare for interviews.. trying to figure out what books I should read before then. I'm pretty weak on health care policy...

To those of you that have done been through this already.. I've heard some advice that you ought to interview at a school you're less interested in BEFORE schools you are more interested in.. using the former as practice for the latter. I have an option to schedule rochester before or after dartmouth.. should I put rochester first? (dartmouth is one of my top 3 choices)

I just got one from NYU yesterday and it's in two weeks!

awesome! I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to new york before.