Any mormon pre-DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddogdo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any mormon DO applicants out there? I was just curious to see. If any of you have been interviewing, have they asked you alot about your faith or mission experiences? Just another question to post to the site. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at your application. If your mission experience is something that really stands out in your application, then expect to get questions about it. If it doesn't then don't expect too many questions. Personally, I got a lot of mission questions because I mentioned my experience in my essay.

I'm going to guess that your mission was really something significant to you. If it was, then go ahead and mention something about it. If your mission taught you how to give service then write that down. If it taught you how to love others, then write that down. Just be sure the other activities you have participated in after your mission can back that up. One last thing, your mission shouldn't be the only reason why you want to go into medicine.

Aloha Kid (AZCOM MSI) give me a email if you need help with anything else.

Maddogdo,

There are plenty out there. I seemed to find a great many at Kirksville, AZCOM and DMU.

I ended up going to MSUCOM and I was actually surprised to find so few (er none that I know of) compared to all the other schools I interviewed at. That didn't dissuade me but I found it interesting.

It came up in a few of my interviews at great detail a couple of times. In fact, one interviewer at MSUCOM gave me a 15 minute lecture on local LDS-related history about some splinter group that ended up in Beaver Island in the the upper MI penisula.

Like Aloha sez, it's part of who you are but make sure you are well grounded in your reasons for becoming a doc.

Good luck,

Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband isn't a DO (he's an MD in residency now), but we are LDS and he did mention his callings, etc. in his applications to medical school years ago. He had nothing but positive reactions (if any). I'd say that mission experiences are a big plus on an application: they show extreme discipline/dedication, the ability to assimilate into another culture, and (if you did a foreign mission) possible fluency in more than one language. These are all pluses to admin committees from what I've seen and heard. Good luck!

Jennifer

We have something like 30 LDS students in our class alone; I am not sure how many in the class ahead of us. From what I have heard, the school has always been highly responsive to missions trips because of the life experience that you gain from it. I am not LDS, but I have friends here that are, and I am very impressed with the level of maturity and aptitude that these students express. I love to hear stories about their experiences.

What do you think of the rumor that there will be a D.O. school built south of Salt Lake soon?