Any MSUCOM spots still open??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFaithful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from an interview and my interviewer said that most of the seats were filled!! and then she mentioned the alternate list. I was pretty down about that one. I know they are expanding the class to 150 this year so I would think there are many more spots to fill...

Does anyone know for sure the figures here?

:( :(

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on Thursday,a nd the lady told me the same thing about the alternate list. So, I am also not happy about this........but all of the medical students that I talked to found it really hard to believe that all of the spots were still filled at this stage in the game.......

I put in my call today to the office... I, am, *sigh* an alternate. The secretary couldn't give me anymore info, but she set me up with a phone imeeting for tomorrow when I hope to get more info about what this means! I'll let you all know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I just interviewed on Monday (1/26) and my interviewer said there were many seats still available and in fact, it was still relatively early. She said not to worry about the alternate list until March and April.

Either way I hope to hear back soon-MSU is my first choice...good luck to both of you! :)

soleil,

did you feel as though you had a bad interview experience???? Or did the interviewer tell you that they liked you and then you got placed on the alternate list...

Also, are you a michigan resident???

My interview went really well. Surprisingly, I guess third time is a charm. I got put on the list at my first two schools so I am hoping that I am not on another one.

My interviewer seemed impressed by my "bottom of the barrel" jobs such as hospice and nursing home.

She ended the interview saying this "I think you would be an asset to our program and to the profession and I feel you would contribute much to the profession. That's probably all I should say at this point."

The chick in the admissions office said that it may be 2-3 wks before I hear anything because they don't meet if there is not much paper work, meaning there were only 3 interviewers there today, so because of that, we may have to wait a looong time.

As far as the waitlist goes: I heard that many many people get in off the waitlist and the last couple years almost everyone has been pulled off!

Time to wait and be patient I guess...by now I should be used to it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by michmaki
soleil,

did you feel as though you had a bad interview experience???? Or did the interviewer tell you that they liked you and then you got placed on the alternate list...

Also, are you a michigan resident???

Ugh. My interview wasn't as nice as youngfaithful's was. My interviewer was 45 minutes late, I could tell he hadn't read my file before the interview, and he was reading the questions off his suggested question list. So, it was hard to get in a groove with him. Luck of the draw, I guess. Yes, I'm a michigan resident...

OK, so I called the Dean today (risky) and asked her about the admissions "system". Here it is:

She said that the majority of class is filled in December, but people go elsewhere and/or do not turn their deposit in on time ($500). Depending on the week there could be 2 spots or 10 spots open currently. They take people off the waitlist first. Essentially everyone on the waitlist will get an offer before new interviewees. The waitlist is ranked every week adding in new people. So there is constant movement on the waitlist.

Does that make me feel any better? NO! At least I know what's going on.

:mad:

So,

from my understanding, we are interviewing either for wait list spots or no spots at all. If I understood this correctly, no body who interviewed recently will be interviewing for an actual spot, only a wait list spot........

That really sucks!!!

YoungFaithful,
I am interviewing at two schools in February. I have been concerned that I would be interviewing for an alternate spot. It sure adds up flying around, only to find out that you are not interviewing for an actual spot. Could you tell me what other schools you have been put on the alternate list? It would be helpful and appreciated.

waitlisted.............

I just made the phone call.........anyone who is interviewing from January onwards is either interviewing for a waitlist spot or no spot at all......they will then pull people off of the wsitlist.......
Kind of suX................
Maybe we can be the first D.O. school though to start a waitlist thread!!

mich

So basically, what MSU does is to accept everybody they interview and fill up spots as quickly as possible, knowing that many people selected them as a safety school and will want to go elsewhere?
I know the acceptance rate after the interview is extremely high, so don't lose hope!

For whatever it is worth,I was interviewed in early March last year and they ONLY had waitlist spots. I am currently a first year student at MSUCOM. Don't lose hope:)

For those of you accepted, about what time did you get the phone call? Was it from the dean or just admissions office??
I am waiting by my phone...

Thanks,
YT

Yeah!! Great!! Another alternate list, what does this mean?

NOTHING!

I might as well build a house in alternate listville.

This makes three lists for me...can anyone beat me?

YF

YF,
I'm sorry to hear of your over-abundance of misfortune...in terms of garnering an actual acceptance. I really can't imagine what it must be like to be waiting on lists like that. Hang in there though....MSUCOM is a great school and I would say that your odds of an eventual acceptance are excellent. Easy for me to say, right?:rolleyes: