any new doctors form the philippines here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will be taking the physician licensure exam this august 2007, anybody who just took their board exams last august 2006 and feb 2007 and who is generous enough to give recalls or tips on which reviewrs to read?...PLS!...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i will be taking the physician licensure exam this august 2007, anybody who just took their board exams last august 2006 and feb 2007 and who is generous enough to give recalls or tips on which reviewrs to read?...PLS!...thanks

hi you could check out www.pinoymd.com

All the best.

thank you very much WaZoBia:)

Members don't see this ad :)
i asked my superiors (mostly 1st year residents and few senior residents) on how they prepared for the boards. they all said 1 thing - self review. they borrowed/photocopied their friends' review notes (who enrolled at reviewed centers).

just talking about it makes me nervous and anxious.

i asked my superiors (mostly 1st year residents and few senior residents) on how they prepared for the boards. they all said 1 thing - self review. they borrowed/photocopied their friends' review notes (who enrolled at reviewed centers).

just talking about it makes me nervous and anxious.

my pleasure @doc88

bleudsky i totally agree with your seniors. i personally feel that review classes actually eat into your study time and most people just go there to socialize and don't really pay attention in class anyway.

you'll be taking the exams in august right? you've got plenty of time, you need about a month and a half of real study and the pressure helps.

All the best guys, i'm sure you'll do well.

hopefully, i could borrow my friends' (who'll start reviewing on May) review materials.

do you think 2 months is enough time for review?

well i'm not sure if i'll take the boards this august but definitely i'll be taking the usmle step 1 by sept or oct.

thanks! :)

thanks guys...i hope u can get tips from them and share it with me too:D...yeah im really nervous about it...

tip from my friend who passed step 1, step 2 and who was recently accepted in NJ is that focous on kaplan review materials and thats all u need...

do u plan to enroll in kaplan?...if you dont then you can just buy photocopied kaplan books which is much much cheaper.

hopefully, i could borrow my friends' (who'll start reviewing on May) review materials.

do you think 2 months is enough time for review?

well i'm not sure if i'll take the boards this august but definitely i'll be taking the usmle step 1 by sept or oct.

thanks! :)

yeah 2 months is plenty of time. you can do it. :)

hi guys...i know i may be jumping the gun a little bit but, im a filam hoping to get accepted for this coming june sy and eventually gonna take the USMLE...

ive been hearing about review tapes from kaplan, anyone know where I can buy/get them? about the kaplan review books, should i buy this year's books and just take them with me to the philippines to study, or should i get the latest year/version?

most ppl say that i should start studying from day 1, which is why im asking all these questions. thanks in advance =) gl with the studying

hi guys...i know i may be jumping the gun a little bit but, im a filam hoping to get accepted for this coming june sy and eventually gonna take the USMLE...

ive been hearing about review tapes from kaplan, anyone know where I can buy/get them? about the kaplan review books, should i buy this year's books and just take them with me to the philippines to study, or should i get the latest year/version?

most ppl say that i should start studying from day 1, which is why im asking all these questions. thanks in advance =) gl with the studying

i think you should probably just get first aid for step 1 when you get to the PI. i hear it's a bit cheaper there. i totally agree that you should start studying from day 1, well not day 1 exactly but as soon as you get settled in.

send me a PM when you get to manila, i might be able to put you in touch with some peeps who can help you out.

all the best.

thanks! ok ill pm you, i leave here april 2 for the nmat...

yeah 2 months is plenty of time. you can do it. :)

thanks!

i hope & pray that i get my clearance immediately as soon as i finish my internship by the end of may or first week of june.

Hey there. You're in the US right now? For the USMLE I think it is much better to enroll in one of the Kaplan center's here in the Philippines. At least you're sure that you are getting the latest videos as well as lecture notes. Yes there are bootleg copies, pdf files and videos that are outdated.
Goodluck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks xthine! yes, iam here in california right now...ill sure keep that in mind if ever i get accepted for this june =) fingers crossed hehe

Hey there. You're in the US right now? For the USMLE I think it is much better to enroll in one of the Kaplan center's here in the Philippines. At least you're sure that you are getting the latest videos as well as lecture notes. Yes there are bootleg copies, pdf files and videos that are outdated.
Goodluck to you!

xthine does have a point but the reality is kaplan notes don't change yearly and neither do the videos. bottomline, since you're only starting out in med school, i think you should definitely focus on first aid for step 1. i don't think it would be wise to spend money on a kaplan course in the PI right now, you can always take a class at the end of your second or third year right before you intend to take step 1.

all the best

can u suggest/recommend books/reviewers that are very helpful for our review per subject? we're so confused and overwhelmed with the number of reviewers coming out that we don't know which ones to buy. hehe! all we know is that digging up the bones for biochem is the best (for biochem).

thanks in advance..

xthine does have a point but the reality is kaplan notes don't change yearly and neither do the videos. bottomline, since you're only starting out in med school, i think you should definitely focus on first aid for step 1. i don't think it would be wise to spend money on a kaplan course in the PI right now, you can always take a class at the end of your second or third year right before you intend to take step 1.

all the best

From one of the filams who studied in ust and is studying for her usmle boards. If you plan on taking kaplan here..it's a waste of money since you can probably get the books from someone. She told me the videos were the same from the bootlegs that were passing around. Over here it's only video based lecturing...in the states u can get the live lecture. I'm considering doing the kaplan..hotel version. where you stay in a hotel and have live lectures at the same time. It's done by kaplan and there is one roughly when school ends and then you can take it during ur summer. But i'm still a year away from figuring that one out. But from what i heard kaplan books don't change much..but not sure though. Books and videos roughly would hold you back roughly one hundred if you copy them in a nice copier place.

Does anyone know here to get the photocopied Kaplan notes? Store or street name would be helpful.

a friend of mine got the kaplan books at a photocopy center at fatima in valenzuela....

evry yr first aid books are being renewed but there are someerrors in each new edition thats whatmy friend told me,she told me to stick to the kaplan books

the books and cd's of kaplan dont change match so what ever photocopy you can get hold of will be fine

^ that's the same store that my friend told me. though i haven't got the time to go there coz according to her, the store closes by 5.

hi! ill be taking the boards this August. just wondering if anyone took review classes before taking the boards and if they were really helpful. sort of considering UST and UP although the UST review seems too toxic.

thanks in advance!!!

Hello AurA! Last year, I passed the August board exam. What I did was I just studied at home. Most of the people I know who took the review classes failed... don't know why. But passing the boards would really depend on the person. Good luck!

hi! ill be taking the boards this August. just wondering if anyone took review classes before taking the boards and if they were really helpful. sort of considering UST and UP although the UST review seems too toxic.

thanks in advance!!!

hello!

UST review is ok. i had friends who enrolled there 2 yrs ago & passed. be prepared for the usual "classroom type" discussions for 1 month. they also give out hand-outs. most of us preferred to attend UP CM's 1 week mock-boards review. that way, i learned my strenghts/weaknesses in every subject since time is too short/limited to study everything all over again. they are open to non-UP grads, but their slots are limited. the rest of my time i devoted to self review. since we got to keep the questionnaires, i reviewed them again later.

goodluck!