Any NYU students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydream46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future classmates,

I was just wondering if someone can give me an idea of the schedule for a D1 student.

Is it like 8-6 all day, everyday? Is everyone's schedule pretty much the same, or is there flexibility?

Also, any commuters?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The didactic lectures are with the entire class while the hand-skills lab work portion is divided into two groups with alternating schedules. While certain days have lectures scheduled from 9-5, other days contain downtimes either in the afternoon or morning depending on which lab group you're in (when the other group is in lab, you're free).

As far as commuting, a decent number of students do commute. However, from my perspective I would recommend against it. During downtimes the ability to go home, relax, nap, hang out is quite delightful. Furthermore, the days when you have a large multi-hour gap in your schedule but having to stick around school is frankly annoying. Also, keep in mind that certain classes --- due to either poor instruction and/or the fact that they're all recorded --- might not be worth the trouble of attending lecture.

I would also not recommend commuting due to the fact that you've been given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be young and in the heart of manhattan, take advantage! The city, which really if one considers it, the cultural epicenter of America, is a distinct amalgamation of vitality, edge, and experiences that demands to be devoured and savored.

Lastly, from a social-professional perspective, it is vastly easier to enjoy the social outings with your school-mates if you lived nearby. And considering that the friends you make in dental school usually become the mainstay of your professional connections during your career, it might behoove of you to cough up a little extra rent to foster this network. Plus, riding the subway/train at 1am when you're piss drunk is an experience that I really wish upon no one : )

Last edited:
well, cant really argue against everything that phremius said. I am currently a D1 and everything he has described is spot on.

I commute. There are pros and cons though. The pro is you will save a ton of money by not living in Manhattan. Everything else is a con. Takes you longer to get home, most of your friends will live next to school, you have to factor commuting when planning to go to social events and study time etc. Even though it is a hassle, it is still manageable. There are people from New Jersey, Long Island, Brooklyn etc, so you will not be alone.

As far as schedule, like phremius pointed out, most of the time you will be in the giant lecture hall for all didactic classes. Dental lab, the class is split into 2 sections. Anatomy lab the class is split into 4 sections and then each section is split into a further 4 groups so there are about 20 people in a room with specimens. The class size so far has not been an inconvenience. By the time you get to the end of the first semester/second semester, you will begin to think you are at Stony Brook because 50-75% wont show up unless it is mandatory.

Yes, most days is 8-5. Some days will have a 2 hour gap, and when you get to second semester, that becomes a 4 hour gap most often.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, cant really argue against everything that phremius said. I am currently a D1 and everything he has described is spot on.

I commute. There are pros and cons though. The pro is you will save a ton of money by not living in Manhattan. Everything else is a con. Takes you longer to get home, most of your friends will live next to school, you have to factor commuting when planning to go to social events and study time etc. Even though it is a hassle, it is still manageable. There are people from New Jersey, Long Island, Brooklyn etc, so you will not be alone.

As far as schedule, like phremius pointed out, most of the time you will be in the giant lecture hall for all didactic classes. Dental lab, the class is split into 2 sections. Anatomy lab the class is split into 4 sections and then each section is split into a further 4 groups so there are about 20 people in a room with specimens. The class size so far has not been an inconvenience. By the time you get to the end of the first semester/second semester, you will begin to think you are at Stony Brook because 50-75% wont show up unless it is mandatory.

Yes, most days is 8-5. Some days will have a 2 hour gap, and when you get to second semester, that becomes a 4 hour gap most often.
How long is your commute? Also, do you think it is a major inconvenience for studying, making you even more tired from an exhausting day of class and so forth?

How long is your commute? Also, do you think it is a major inconvenience for studying, making you even more tired from an exhausting day of class and so forth?

with rush hour, it can be a over an hour, usually hour and fifteen min. It is funny to hear people in class who live 5 min from school complain about late classes and the impact it will have on their study time, and meanwhile there are a couple of us who commute a good distance and still manage to pull awesome grades.

bottom line is that it depends on how well you want to do. Sure it can be annoying coming home around 7pm exhausted and all, but if you want to do well, you will pull out the notes and study for a few hour until it's time to go to bed.

I wouldn't call it an inconvenience really, I mean I still manage to sleep around 11pm and wake up at 6AM to get to school. It can be annoying, but when dealing with NYU, anything you do to save money is a major plus and well worth the effort. Rent by the school is outrageous. If you apply yourself and make the most of your time, you will have more than enough time to do everything you want. time management is key.

I dont really have a choice on commuting. I am married, and we live in NJ, my husband works here, my son goes to school here, and we have our dream house. I'll just make it work for 4 years, no matter how hard.

I was just wondering if there was any flexibility in schedule because it would be nice to see my son off to school in the morning, but I can see that wont be possible, which is fine.... also part of why I cant move is we have a lot of family in the area to help us with things (such as taking my son to school).

I know it will be hard, but I'll be fine... for the commuters, anyone coming in from Jersey? Im still trying to find the best way to do it.

I dont really have a choice on commuting. I am married, and we live in NJ, my husband works here, my son goes to school here, and we have our dream house. I'll just make it work for 4 years, no matter how hard.

I was just wondering if there was any flexibility in schedule because it would be nice to see my son off to school in the morning, but I can see that wont be possible, which is fine.... also part of why I cant move is we have a lot of family in the area to help us with things (such as taking my son to school).

I know it will be hard, but I'll be fine... for the commuters, anyone coming in from Jersey? Im still trying to find the best way to do it.

You better start telling your husband and son that mommy is about to get really busy. My marriage was tested to the limit while in dental school. It is sometimes very hard for a spouse to understand why you have to put in that extra 2 hours of studying instead of seeing a movie.

And where do you live in NJ? I commuted 1 hour each way. Not easy the first 3 years. The school gives little leeway on tardiness...15 min max. Especially for lab and pre-clinic. Most classes, at least when I was going through them, you could skip. But being late to class, well I was called out a few times by the prof.

So flexibility is near zero. What your schedule is given in the beginning is what it will remain and lots of students get screwed when they try to change things around with fellow classmates and it costs them dearly, meaning staying extra after graduation.

not to sound harsh, but thats reality of dental school.

You better start telling your husband and son that mommy is about to get really busy. My marriage was tested to the limit while in dental school. It is sometimes very hard for a spouse to understand why you have to put in that extra 2 hours of studying instead of seeing a movie.

And where do you live in NJ? I commuted 1 hour each way. Not easy the first 3 years. The school gives little leeway on tardiness...15 min max. Especially for lab and pre-clinic. Most classes, at least when I was going through them, you could skip. But being late to class, well I was called out a few times by the prof.

So flexibility is near zero. What your schedule is given in the beginning is what it will remain and lots of students get screwed when they try to change things around with fellow classmates and it costs them dearly, meaning staying extra after graduation.

not to sound harsh, but thats reality of dental school.

Yeah, I'm not worried about my husband and son... both are very supportive, and like I said we have lots of family support in the area. My family is my rock, I actually dont think I would have made it this far without them.

I just didn't know if the labs were flexible... meaning I could have my 2-4 hour break in the morning instead or the middle of the day. Just a question. I am not complaining about the way things are.

Coming in from Princeton area. Right now my best guess is taking the train from Princeton Junction.. Though I'm not quite sure what to do once I'm there. Ive made the walk like 4 times recently and it isnt bad... I just don't think its ideal. I am really a very good commuter, and many people in my town do it everyday. I can do it for 4 years. Plus I have friends nearby I can crash with if need be.

I know people may think I am being naive and I dont know how hard it will be. But when there is only one way to accomplish your dream.. you do it. I will use the train time to study, and just do whatever it takes.

If there were a few other people getting into Penn Station at the same time it would be good to have someone to make the trip with (or split a cab with on really nasty days)

aegdboy is right. Flexibility in terms of scheduling is zero. You are assigned to a group and must follow the groups schedule.

I am not married, but there are a lot of married people in the school. It is tough on them and many spend time outside the house studying in the library because they cant focus as well with the spouse and kids at home. So it will be even tougher on you than most people.

the lab is split into 2 sessions, A group and B group both are in the following time slots : (10-1) and (2-5). Somedays A will be early somedays it will be B. So in the end it makes no difference.

aegdboy is right. Flexibility in terms of scheduling is zero. You are assigned to a group and must follow the groups schedule.

I am not married, but there are a lot of married people in the school. It is tough on them and many spend time outside the house studying in the library because they cant focus as well with the spouse and kids at home. So it will be even tougher on you than most people.

Thats ok, I guess I've never been one to take the easy route anyhow :)

the lab is split into 2 sessions, A group and B group both are in the following time slots : (10-1) and (2-5). Somedays A will be early somedays it will be B. So in the end it makes no difference.

Lab is split into 3 sections (A, B and C) starting in second year with a morning, afternoon and evening session. It wasn't that bad for me fall term, I was only on the evening schedule once a week. This term I am in lab until 8:30pm Tues. - Thurs. pretty much every week. It really isn't an issue for my marriage, there are many families out here in Queens who sacrifice much more on a daily basis with fewer prospects for the future.

I don't mind the commuting much, takes me around an hour. It is nice to have a separate life to go home to. It could hamper you from really rockin the grades (comes down to A + vs A - type stuff if you want to get honors) but it still isn't impossible if that is your goal.

Yeah, I'm not worried about my husband and son... both are very supportive, and like I said we have lots of family support in the area. My family is my rock, I actually dont think I would have made it this far without them.

I just didn't know if the labs were flexible... meaning I could have my 2-4 hour break in the morning instead or the middle of the day. Just a question. I am not complaining about the way things are.

Coming in from Princeton area. Right now my best guess is taking the train from Princeton Junction.. Though I'm not quite sure what to do once I'm there. Ive made the walk like 4 times recently and it isnt bad... I just don't think its ideal. I am really a very good commuter, and many people in my town do it everyday. I can do it for 4 years. Plus I have friends nearby I can crash with if need be.

I know people may think I am being naive and I dont know how hard it will be. But when there is only one way to accomplish your dream.. you do it. I will use the train time to study, and just do whatever it takes.

If there were a few other people getting into Penn Station at the same time it would be good to have someone to make the trip with (or split a cab with on really nasty days)

I don't know what to say until you experience it for yourself. Penn station is not close at all to the school. Even by cab its 10-15 min on a good day. Walking with taking a bus or a subway combo you are looking at 30+ min. You are looking at an easy 2 hour each way commute. Don't forget you have to wait on trains, so don't just add up the travel time.

I would suggest you rent a small studio in the city and stay 3-4 days a week and then go home on weekends.

Saying you are tough is one thing, doing it for 4 years is another. The problem is, you have never experienced dental school. If it gets hard, don't act tough and help yourself by moving closer. If you try to act hardcore you and your family will suffer big time.

There was one girl that did commute everyday from Philly. She was in the class of 2007. It's possible, but with a young family I would not risk it. As I mentioned, I look out my window and I see downtown Manhattan. I live on the water front of jersey City and it takes me one hour to get to school door to door. You are looking at 2 hours easy

well had to edit the post. Train schedule has changed since I was riding.

Still very very long for you. 2 hour comutte for sure

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
well had to edit the post. Train schedule has changed since I was riding.

Still very very long for you. 2 hour comutte for sure

We have a girl in our class whose husband is a prof at Princeton and she lives in Princeton, NJ. And she has a one year old. 2 hours each way but she makes it happen.

We have a girl in our class whose husband is a prof at Princeton and she lives in Princeton, NJ. And she has a one year old. 2 hours each way but she makes it happen.

That's so awesome. I love encouragement.

If it was possible I'd love to know how she commutes? NJ transit? PATH? bus?

Thanks so much

Theres no flexibility at all. You cant switch sections (some classes are split into 4 sections with diff schedules) at all based on ANYTHING, specially not being a commuter.

I come in from Jersey. I take the bus to port authority and then the RW or the S and 6 to 23rd street. The worst part of the commute is the walk from the bus to the subway (damn tourists in times square dont know how to walk in a straight line....or move at all) and waiting for the NYU elevators that are slow as hell. For a while there, I took PATH in from Hoboken and it was a much easier commute....but it still took about an hour bc its a 20 minute + walk from the station to the school.

You get used to it. You can also plan ahead and just skip some classes (everything is recorded on iTunes) IF you're dedicated and organized enough to make up for the time lost. I skip a LOT of 8am classes. And then I just skip lunch too and use the time to listen to those 8am classes.

I agree that your commute is going to suck. And in your case, youd have to skip a LOT of classes to be able to see your son off to school (given commute time). And then when clinic starts, your schedule is all over the place and based on patients largely.

Labs are not flexible at all. at ALL. if your more than five minutes late for a quiz or test, you wont be able to take it (unless you really turn on the waterworks and go to Rosenthal and just be a pain in the ass about it). and we have pretty much all our quizzes first thing in the morning.

you also need to plan a 15 minute cushion in your commute time for transit delays. subways often just sit on the track "just because"

Theres no flexibility at all. You cant switch sections (some classes are split into 4 sections with diff schedules) at all based on ANYTHING, specially not being a commuter.

I come in from Jersey. I take the bus to port authority and then the RW or the S and 6 to 23rd street. The worst part of the commute is the walk from the bus to the subway (damn tourists in times square dont know how to walk in a straight line....or move at all) and waiting for the NYU elevators that are slow as hell. For a while there, I took PATH in from Hoboken and it was a much easier commute....but it still took about an hour bc its a 20 minute + walk from the station to the school.

You get used to it. You can also plan ahead and just skip some classes (everything is recorded on iTunes) IF you're dedicated and organized enough to make up for the time lost. I skip a LOT of 8am classes. And then I just skip lunch too and use the time to listen to those 8am classes.

I agree that your commute is going to suck. And in your case, youd have to skip a LOT of classes to be able to see your son off to school (given commute time). And then when clinic starts, your schedule is all over the place and based on patients largely.

Labs are not flexible at all. at ALL. if your more than five minutes late for a quiz or test, you wont be able to take it (unless you really turn on the waterworks and go to Rosenthal and just be a pain in the ass about it). and we have pretty much all our quizzes first thing in the morning.

you also need to plan a 15 minute cushion in your commute time for transit delays. subways often just sit on the track "just because"

Thank you very much for the valuable information. I do like that the classes are on iTunes.

I just want to reiterate (to everyone, not you specifically) Im not complaining about it or anything. I know it will be hard, but I also know I can do it. I appreciate the concern... but Im a great commuter, and think I could use the train time to my advantage.

I guess I just wanted to know what the schedule is like so I know if I need to make arrangements for my son.... If it was flexible, or times of class varied year to year I would wait and see... but now I know I will need to make arranges. Not a problem. Thats why I came here to ask. I did ask at my interview and didn't really get a straight answer, but I didnt want to push it.

Thank you.

Ohhh one more thing.. about the iTunes lectures... are they up there now? Can I axcess them? Can I peek at this years lecture?

Thank you all again. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
anyone know about the lectures? I found the NYU med schools lectures pretty easily on iTunes.... can't find nyucd though

Last edited:
just look at this way, the commute time won't hurt your anatomy grade.

plastinations in professional school are ridiculous.

just look at this way, the commute time won't hurt your anatomy grade.

plastinations in professional school are ridiculous.

yeah they wouldnt consider changing that at all. A bunch of us tried. we even tried to get a summer elective disection course on real heads, with the anatomy dept heads support.

School basically said hell no. They no longer carry the insurance necessary for having "live" specimens in the building and its basically cheaper for them to have plastinates.

But honestly, they were great learning tools. And there really isnt much application to a dental student doing disections in their first year as a student.

yeah they wouldnt consider changing that at all. A bunch of us tried. we even tried to get a summer elective disection course on real heads, with the anatomy dept heads support.

School basically said hell no. They no longer carry the insurance necessary for having "live" specimens in the building and its basically cheaper for them to have plastinates.

But honestly, they were great learning tools. And there really isnt much application to a dental student doing disections in their first year as a student.

is it really cheaper? i mean just one of those dissected heads we have is ~55g according to faculty. I too would have preferred a cadaver, but the plastinations turned outt o be surprisingly good and extremely accurate, so no complaints in the end.

Ask yourself this question then you'll have an answer.

Do you want to become a DDS in 4 years or do you want to get kicked out of NYUCD?

NYUCD is no joke and there's no flexibility when it comes to 8 o'clock labs and clinics. The competition is fierce since the bottom 10-15 percent of the class don't pass the courses and just imagine how many hours of studying time you would lose by commuting from New Jersey.

Commute from New Jersey is for Indian AP students who have already passed the boards, have their dental license and are trying to save some money.

If your hubby is really that supportive, he should consider moving to an apartment near school so that you can focus on school and nothing else in order to not to get kicked out of NYUCD. Trust me, once school gets started, your hubby and your kids are going to be the last thing on your mind.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"

Last edited:
Ask yourself this question then you'll have an answer.

Do you want to become a DDS in 4 years or do you want to get kicked out of NYUCD?

NYUCD is no joke and there's no flexibility when it comes to 8 o'clock labs and clinics. The competition is fierce since the bottom 10-15 percent of the class don't pass the courses and just imagine how many hours of studying time you would lose by commuting from New Jersey.

Commute from New Jersey is for Indian AP students who have already passed the boards, have their dental license and are trying to save some money.

If your hubby is really that supportive, he should consider moving to an apartment near school so that you can focus on school and nothing else in order to not to get kicked out of NYUCD. Trust me, one school gets started, your hubby and your kids are going to be the last thing on your mind.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"

HeHe Don't worry about a thing DayDream. Put forth an honest effort and you have nothing to worry about. Very difficult to get kicked out. Commuters are mostly people with families or people who were established in the area before school started.

Hello future classmates,

I was just wondering if someone can give me an idea of the schedule for a D1 student.

Is it like 8-6 all day, everyday? Is everyone's schedule pretty much the same, or is there flexibility?

Also, any commuters?

Thanks in advance!

these questions were posted in 2007 so i'm sure you're close to graduating from the program. I was wonering if i could get your help!! i received an interview letter and will be setting up my date, i am concerned as to what their questions are, what they expect of you, and if there is a clinical exam. hope you will be able to help me..

regards

If you commute, it's easy to use that time to your advantage.

Record lectures and listen again in the car on the way home, or review notes and handouts if you are on public transportation.

Worked great for me.

GL...

these questions were posted in 2007 so i'm sure you're close to graduating from the program. I was wonering if i could get your help!! i received an interview letter and will be setting up my date, i am concerned as to what their questions are, what they expect of you, and if there is a clinical exam. hope you will be able to help me..

regards

No it wasnt. 2/22/09