Aug 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Are there any current or former Oklahoma gas residents around? I'm interested in the Oklahoma program and appreciate any insights. I have followed the program for the last couple of years and it seems Dr Fitch has it on the right path.

I've heard the program characterized as a "workhorse" program... not necessarily a bad thing if that means good cases and good teaching. Any insights on the call schedule, hours, etc? Medicine is a second career so I'll have a few years on the average newly minted M.D. I've got a family at home so I'm trying to get an idea of what they should expect.

How is the faculty? How are the surgeons... your typical fare or something more? Didactics?

I've heard very good things about Oklahoma City and think it should be a good place to raise a family.

Any insights appreciated.

RY

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Recent OU medstudent. I can give you some insights but this will not be as accurate as a Resident. My impression: Not a workhorse but not a cakewalk. I think the workload is just right. Internal moonlighting++ Awesome professors, especially in Peds. OKC has a very low cost of living. Downtown is getting better each day, however this is not a place for urbanites singles, seafood/whole foods/trader's joe/organic food shoppers and trees/ocean/mountain lovers. Great if you love the open plains, steaks/BBQ, college football (since our NBA team is pretty bad), family living, and strong christian communities. You will not have to drive to different places for your training. PGY-1 is probably the nation's best transitional year. :thumbup:

Last edited:

panetrain

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2008
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
OU may have the best intern year in the USA. Less than 40 hour work week, no clinic, very little rounding, no admits, unlimited food, free starbucks, access to the many attendings lounges, great parking, dictating for extra money only. Primary responsibility is to place lines (CVC, a. lines), run codes, stabilize patients during emergent/urgent situations, intubate, stabilize patients in the ICU after hours, manage pressors and vents. We did very little note writing and busy work. We were treated like attendings by staff as well as the private practice attendings. Great year!!!:thumbup:

Recent OU medstudent. I can give you some insights but this will not be as accurate as a Resident. My impression: Not a workhorse but not a cakewalk. I think the workload is just right. Internal moonlighting++ Awesome professors, especially in Peds. OKC has a very low cost of living. Downtown is getting better each day, however this is not a place for urbanites singles, seafood/whole foods/trader's joe/organic food shoppers and trees/ocean/mountain lovers. Great if you love the open plains, steaks/BBQ, college football (since our NBA team is pretty bad), family living, and strong christian communities. You will not have to drive to different places for your training. PGY-1 is probably the nation's best transitional year. :thumbup:

OP
R
Aug 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the info. I've heard a great deal about the intern year. Can you tell me more about the residency experience? Thanks in advance.

panetrain

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2008
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with the med student, OU's program is not a workhorse program like UTSW or Duke etc... but, it is no candy factory either, like Scott and White. However, I think we are trained better than the candy factory programs. Specifically, OU's strengths are peds peds peds, high risk OB and trauma. Most of us did 6 months of complex peds including peds hearts with no fellows cherry picking the difficult cases. Most of us leave the program feeling comfortable taking care of sick neonates and complex pediatric pathologies as well as learn to become proficient in neonatal central lines, a. lines, etc... OU also offers internal moonlighting for hours worked after 3 pm on rotations such as adults, peds, hearts and neuro. Average work week is 55 hours. Too many benefits to OU to list in one post. It's one of the hidden gem programs.

Thanks for the info. I've heard a great deal about the intern year. Can you tell me more about the residency experience? Thanks in advance.

neuroride

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
SD
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah buddy, Panetrain speaks the truth, he has been there and done it. I am just starting my CA-1 year and figuring it all out.

Intern year is great. I feel very confident in my procedure skills (intubation, A-lines, etc.), still novice in OR management.

PM me if you have any further questions, we welcome anyone interested in anesthesiology, whether or not our program is best for you.