Any open PGY-2 spots???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurorehab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently a PGY-2 in another specialty at an ACGME accredited program. I am hoping to find an open PGY-2 spot in Neurology. If anyone knows of any open programs, please message me.

Also, while I am in an ACGME program currently, I completed my intern year in an osteopathic rotating internship. How will this affect my chances at getting into an open Neuro spot. I have heard that they require the completion of your intern year in an ACGME program. Is this true?? Or do some programs accept osteopathic internships??

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey. ive come across a few pgy2 neuro spots. check "find a resident" and "swap a resident". i believe emory and univ of arkansas were 2 that i recall. as for your internship, im not sure how that will work out. perhaps you could contact the board of neuro/psych...

wishin you all the best.

is it impossible to transfer into a PGY-2 year at an ACGME accredited Neuro residency with an osteopathic transitional year already completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it impossible to transfer into a PGY-2 year at an ACGME accredited Neuro residency with an osteopathic transitional year already completed?

I believe that for an ACGME neurology program you need 6 months of medicine at a ACGME program.

I think theoretically that you could... depends on the rotations you've had during your AOA intern year -- here are the ACGME requirements I found online (http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/180pr105.pdf):

A complete neurology residency requires 48 months of training. Approved
residencies in neurology must provide at least 36 months of this education. The program meeting these requirements may be of two types:

Those that provide 4 years of residency training, the first year of which
training (accredited in the United States of Canada) must include a broad
clinical experience in general internal medicine. This year must include at
least one of the following:
(a) 8 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care or
(b) 6 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care and a period of at least 2 months time comprising 1 or more months of pediatrics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, or family medicine. Residents must spend no more than 2 months in neurology during this year.

2. Those that provide 3 years of residency training but accept only residents
who have had an initial first year of graduate training in the United States
or Canada. This first year must meet the minimum requirements as noted
in I. B.1. above.

I remember seeing the same requirements on the ABPN website, but I can't find that link right now. Hope this helps.

(a) 8 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care or
(b) 6 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care and a period of at least 2 months time comprising 1 or more months of pediatrics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, or family medicine. Residents must spend no more than 2 months in neurology during this year.

Do transitional PGY-1 programs meet the above requirements?

I actually emailed the ABPN regarding this. They said that you absolutely need to complete an ACGME accredited PGY1 year and an AOA approved year will not do. I think if it is dually accredited it might work, but you still need 6 months of IM.

Will any ACGME program still accept me as a PGY-2 with an osteopathic transitional year if I take the osteopathic neurology boards after? I dont even know if that is possible. I am very interested in switching to neurology, but I would hate to start over again and compelte a transitional year.

Will any ACGME program still accept me as a PGY-2 with an osteopathic transitional year if I take the osteopathic neurology boards after? I dont even know if that is possible. I am very interested in switching to neurology, but I would hate to start over again and compelte a transitional year.

If you do a search in some of the old threads there is mention of someone who did a AOA transitional year and was able to go into a ACGME neurology program and then took the osteopathic boards afterwards. This is completely against the norm and I'm sure most programs will not do this. Your best bet is to call a few of the PD and see what they say. I will see if I can find that old thread for you.

Found the information you need: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=255338&highlight=osteopathic

As was stated above if you are doing "MD" residency you need the "MD" (ACGME) transitional year/internship year. The "DO" (AOA) version does not suffice. The exact requirement are on the ABPN website. I think this requirement is for neurology only. I'm not aware of other specialties that require a transitional year that stipulate and ACGME requirement, however as I already said I am somewhat out of the loop on this.

Thanks for the help! I'm trying to email some PD's, its tough though because I feel like everything is stacked against me. Anyone know anything about any of the osteopathic programs?? Any openings?

I actually emailed the ABPN regarding this. They said that you absolutely need to complete an ACGME accredited PGY1 year and an AOA approved year will not do. I think if it is dually accredited it might work, but you still need 6 months of IM.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I spoke with an ABPN credentialing officer specifically about this.

Thanks for the help! I'm trying to email some PD's, its tough though because I feel like everything is stacked against me. Anyone know anything about any of the osteopathic programs?? Any openings?
There are only 5 osteopathic neurology programs that I know of. Just out of curiosity, what is the current residency you are in? You may have issues with funding that would have to be worked out.

OUCOM/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr
1975 Miamisburg Centerville Rd,
Dayton, OH 45459-3811
Program Director: Michael J. Valle, DO
[email protected]
http://www.khnetwork.org/gvmeded/
(937) 439-6186

EW Sparrow Hospital
138 Service Rd Ste A217,
East Lansing, MI 48824-1376
Program Director: Jayne Heather Ward Martin, DO
[email protected]
(517) 353-8122

Botsford Hospital
28595 Orchard Lake Rd Ste 200,
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-2979
Program Director: William D. Boudouris, DO
[email protected]
(248) 553-0010

Garden City Hospital
28595 Orchard Lake Rd,
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-2977
Program Director: Anne Pawlak, DO
[email protected]
http://www.gchmeded.org
(248) 553-0010

St John Health Osteopathic Division
27354 Dequindre Road,
Madison Heights, MI 48071
Program Director: Martin I. Belkin, DO
[email protected]
http://www.stjohn.org/gme/
(248) 967-7795

Its unlikely that any of them will have a spot open at this point, but someone may drop out. My recommendation would be for you to keep in contact with them now and let them know that you're available for transfer. Worst case scenario is you wait until the following year's AOA match. Good luck!

In addition, Erie PA and Touro, Vegas both have AOA Neurology programs. When I was applying, the ABPN was clear that to do an ACGME Neuro residency, you have to have an ACGME internship.

Your options are to apply to AOA Neurology spots, or complete an ACGME internship prior to starting an ACGME residency.

PGY2 position is available at Loyola University Hospital.Try there.
They have Biller as chairman , one of the most well known names in Stroke.

I believe that for an ACGME neurology program you need 6 months of medicine at a ACGME program.

I've done 6 months IM (including vacation) plus 10 months surgical residency and have credits for these rotations. Can I qualify for neurology pgy2?

Sorry to bump but similar situation to above. What about if my AOA transitional year is at a program with an ACGME IM program? Will my IM rotations count as being ACGME, thus allowing me to fulfill the requirements?
I think you have to see if the Neurology program will accept your credits AND seek approval from the ABPN.