Any Opinions on Madison, WI

Started by Schwimmy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Schwimmy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may have the opportunity to relocate and I can only find positive things about this town. The only downside would be a probable paycut and a definite increase in the price of housing/rent (and other costs of living).
 
Wow?! Madison is an extremely competitive market to enter. Basically, Madison is an exurb of Chicago, and if the politics don't agree with you (probably the strongest liberal bastion in the the Midwest), then you won't feel welcome. The public school system and university are better than Minnesota and the neighborhoods are safer than Illinois, but the city lacks the amenities of either the Twin Cities or Chicago proper.

If you have an inferiority complex about intelligence or education, don't live in Madison either. It's hard not to run into graduate educated menial labor who still can easily outsmart you but took Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance seriously and decoupled themselves from the rat race. If I lived in the area, I'd live in the Northwest in either Middleton or Waunakee (Verona is also a fine place to live now). If you live in the city proper, then the area zoned to West High would be where I would live.
 
Madison is midwest USA. I am from Chicago area and Madison is a not too long drive from there. So on long weekends you could go there. Alternatively, its cheaper to see Cubs play at Milwaukee which has some attractions. Without knowing where you are from and what interests you, its hard to say if you would like it. I think it would be a good family town.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Madison is midwest USA. I am from Chicago area and Madison is a not too long drive from there. So on long weekends you could go there. Alternatively, its cheaper to see Cubs play at Milwaukee which has some attractions. Without knowing where you are from and what interests you, its hard to say if you would like it. I think it would be a good family town.

I mostly just sit at home and play compy games when I'm not raising the child. Terribly uninterested in sports, but getting the grandparents from O'Hare (which I have more experience with) vs MSP would be a change of pace. It's definitely better than where I'm at but there are other opportunities that keep cropping up as well.
 
Wow?! Madison is an extremely competitive market to enter. Basically, Madison is an exurb of Chicago, and if the politics don't agree with you (probably the strongest liberal bastion in the the Midwest), then you won't feel welcome. The public school system and university are better than Minnesota and the neighborhoods are safer than Illinois, but the city lacks the amenities of either the Twin Cities or Chicago proper.

If you have an inferiority complex about intelligence or education, don't live in Madison either. It's hard not to run into graduate educated menial labor who still can easily outsmart you but took Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance seriously and decoupled themselves from the rat race. If I lived in the area, I'd live in the Northwest in either Middleton or Waunakee (Verona is also a fine place to live now). If you live in the city proper, then the area zoned to West High would be where I would live.

I appreciate the geographical data. I'll look into those areas. One possible listing we've thought about is an apartment building, so run that in addition to the job, but that would take a real dedication to that location.

Edit: Trying to find something that is under $1k per month is impossiburh, so it looks like we'd be shelling out at least $1.5k per month for rent.
 
Madison is a cool city. I've been through there a few times visiting the Epic campus. It's safe, clean, and has plenty to do. Just be prepared to live through some serious winters.
 
Madison is a cool city. I've been through there a few times visiting the Epic campus. It's safe, clean, and has plenty to do. Just be prepared to live through some serious winters.

I agree winter is long, cold but I don't think it qualifies as brutal. Fall drives in the country, maybe the UP of Michigan would be great. My family lived at the Wisconsin dells in the summer time. Good fishing and deer hunting. Also some down to earth Americans. OP says he/she has a child I think it would be a very good place to raise the little one.
 
I agree winter is long, cold but I don't think it qualifies as brutal. Fall drives in the country, maybe the UP of Michigan would be great. My family lived at the Wisconsin dells in the summer time. Good fishing and deer hunting. Also some down to earth Americans. OP says he/she has a child I think it would be a very good place to raise the little one.
I was thinking about this after I posted. There are probably far worse winters in the US. Cities closer to the great lakes probably have it worse, right? Someone from the Midwest wouldn't consider it out of the ordinary.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who has lived in the southern US for my entire life. Seems harsh to me, but that is entirely relative!
 
It is actually about a 3 hour drive from central Chicago to Madison. It is 90 minutes to Milwaukee and 90 minutes to Madison from there.

The cost of living is reasonable. Property tax is high in Wisconsin. The state sales tax is 5.5%. The state income tax is progressive. The nearest major airport is Milwaukee's General Mitchell. The biggest airlines are Southwest and Delta. The other airlines are OneJet, American, United, Frontier, Allegiant, Alaska, Volaris, and Air Canada. MKE is so much easier than ORD to navigate.

Since you are not near Lake Michigan, it is colder and more snowy than Milwaukee but it is nothing horrid. The lake keeps the area warmer in the winter. Since we are west of the lake, no major lake effect snow. Michigan gets tremendous lake effect snow.
 
It is actually about a 3 hour drive from central Chicago to Madison. It is 90 minutes to Milwaukee and 90 minutes to Madison from there.

The cost of living is reasonable. Property tax is high in Wisconsin. The state sales tax is 5.5%. The state income tax is progressive. The nearest major airport is Milwaukee's General Mitchell. The biggest airlines are Southwest and Delta. The other airlines are OneJet, American, United, Frontier, Allegiant, Alaska, Volaris, and Air Canada. MKE is so much easier than ORD to navigate.

Since you are not near Lake Michigan, it is colder and more snowy than Milwaukee but it is nothing horrid. The lake keeps the area warmer in the winter. Since we are west of the lake, no major lake effect snow. Michigan gets tremendous lake effect snow.

It's probably worth mentioning that I do live in Wisconsin currently. I am currently on the receiving end of a $400 monthly increase in taxes, so I know how killer that property tax is. It's ridiculous.
 
I may have the opportunity to relocate and I can only find positive things about this town. The only downside would be a probable paycut and a definite increase in the price of housing/rent (and other costs of living).

If youre looking in WI apply for the new costco in Appleton!
 
There is a Dave& Buster's in Madison and also one in Wauwatosa. An Ikea is opening in Oak Creek this week. They are going to have remote parking and shuttles.

I currently have a coupon for a free scoop of custard with value meal purchase at Culver's. There are 3 nearby.
 
I love Madison!

Considering you are already in Wisconsin, I think it would be a great place to move to. Unless you just really prefer small towns or a rural area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Going down a for a face-to-face later this week. Will haul the spouse so they can take a look around as well.