Any opinions on Osteopathic FP/EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at the three osteopathic joint Family Practice/Emergency Medicine residencies and was wondering if anyone had any experience or feedback about them. Are they 4 years instead of the standard 3+3, or is there a year of internship also? (All so confusing for someone not even MS-1 yet.)

Any specific impressions on the St Barnabas program in the Bronx?

Thanks for all your help! Good luck with the match, all.

-Luke

Members don't see this ad.

they are 5 yrs total with all the fp done 1st. i am thinking about the program at pontiac. st b is probably the best if you could deal with ny for 5 years. you said 3 programs... what is the 3rd?

emed,

#3 is at OU: here's the scutwork link:

http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?g=Detailed/3758.html&d=1

Five years seems like such a long time since one doesn't really need board certification for rural ED's. I wonder if a three-year FP program heavy on surgery and trauma would be more advantageous.

Perhaps it would be possible to do three years FP and then do locum tenens in emergency departments to get hands-on training while making more than a resident's salary? Lots to learn still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Don't be confused about the IM in my name... I guess I did not know what I wanted yet. I love breadth... and knowing as much as I can about all fields: IM, peds, OB/Gyn... etc. When are you going to graduate? I will be starting my combined FP/EM program this summer. Yes it is five years. As more and more ER docs are graduated, it will get harder and harder for fp's to practice in the ER except in the most rural of areas. There are already plans on the table to stop moonlighting in the ER by anyone but ER residents. That is to say the fp people could moonlight, but only in clinics.

The advantages are: You are double boarded so can have a clinic and work in the ER or do only one as you see fit and your life permits. It is very attractive for academia if you want to teach. Extremely easy to moonlight in ER, general clinic, or urgent care.

The disadvantages are: It is five years and may be difficult to truly practice two specialties. If you aren't from these places, Detroit, Dayton, and NY may not be your cup of tea.

I'll be more than happy if anyone wants to stay in touch and I will let you know how it is going and whether my opinion changes.

geez residentevil,
i know quinn's avatar got some attention, but where did yours come from?:eek:

did we lose residentevil?

that is weird. residentevil? oh residentevil?

Hello!

I was wondering if you are still in FP/EM? How is it going? I am interested to find out how it is going and which program you chose?

Thank you!

im2003 said:
Hello. Don't be confused about the IM in my name... I guess I did not know what I wanted yet. I love breadth... and knowing as much as I can about all fields: IM, peds, OB/Gyn... etc. When are you going to graduate? I will be starting my combined FP/EM program this summer. Yes it is five years. As more and more ER docs are graduated, it will get harder and harder for fp's to practice in the ER except in the most rural of areas. There are already plans on the table to stop moonlighting in the ER by anyone but ER residents. That is to say the fp people could moonlight, but only in clinics.

The advantages are: You are double boarded so can have a clinic and work in the ER or do only one as you see fit and your life permits. It is very attractive for academia if you want to teach. Extremely easy to moonlight in ER, general clinic, or urgent care.

The disadvantages are: It is five years and may be difficult to truly practice two specialties. If you aren't from these places, Detroit, Dayton, and NY may not be your cup of tea.

I'll be more than happy if anyone wants to stay in touch and I will let you know how it is going and whether my opinion changes.

At the completion of any of these programs will you be eligible for boarding with ACEP, or is it only ACOEP?
Thanks
F