Any orthos in Florida willing to have a shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an accepted student to an osteopathic school and would like to shadow someone in the field. I am very interested in ortho and would love to connect with some ortho physicians. I am in Florida and willing to travel within the state. I know it may be hard due to COVID but I figured I would miss 100% of the shots I don't take.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am an accepted student to an osteopathic school and would like to shadow someone in the field. I am very interested in ortho and would love to connect with some ortho physicians. I am in Florida and willing to travel within the state. I know it may be hard due to COVID but I figured I would miss 100% of the shots I don't take.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I am assuming you're at NSU? Here are some great attendings and ones to stay away from who I've worked with and also listed places to stay away from.

- Dr. Vani Sabesan at Cleveland Clinic FL is absolutely great if you're interested in upper extremity and sports. She's tough and has high expectations even if you're shadowing her. I learned a lot. Enjoys teaching and having students.
- Dr. Uribe at Hospitals. Older and just great attending overall. May be tough as I've been told through the grapevine that he maybe leaving or the program will merge with another medical school system in south Florida.
- Dr. Jon Levy at Holy Cross. He's consistently taken DOs into his fellowship program and publishes a lot. I had one poster presentation with him while I worked with him as a med student a while back.
- Dr. Jacob Landes at Broward. I personally did not rotate with him but my sister did recently and said he was super nice and made sure she learned a lot about the basics of orthopaedics.
- Dr. Joel Rush is trash. I would stay away from. @DarkHorizon can vouch for this as most of the residency program would make fun of Dr. Rush and @DarkHorizon
- Dr. Brian Cross at Broward. Well known trauma attending. Did my AI rotation here and absolutely loved it. Ranked it third on my ROL.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forum. I am assuming you're at NSU? Here are some great attendings and ones to stay away from who I've worked with and also listed places to stay away from.

- Dr. Vani Sabesan at Cleveland Clinic FL is absolutely great if you're interested in upper extremity and sports. She's tough and has high expectations even if you're shadowing her. I learned a lot. Enjoys teaching and having students.
- Dr. Uribe at Hospitals. Older and just great attending overall. May be tough as I've been told through the grapevine that he maybe leaving or the program will merge with another medical school system in south Florida.
- Dr. Jon Levy at Holy Cross. He's consistently taken DOs into his fellowship program and publishes a lot. I had one poster presentation with him while I worked with him as a med student a while back.
- Dr. Jacob Landes at Broward. I personally did not rotate with him but my sister did recently and said he was super nice and made sure she learned a lot about the basics of orthopaedics.
- Dr. Joel Rush is trash. I would stay away from. @DarkHorizon can vouch for this as most of the residency program would make fun of Dr. Rush and @DarkHorizon
- Dr. Brian Cross at Broward. Well known trauma attending. Did my AI rotation here and absolutely loved it. Ranked it third on my ROL.

First of all, thank you for this very detailed list.
I was actually actually accepted to ACOM. I will begin in August. However while I am in Florida I definitely wanted a bit more exposure to any Ortho surgeon that would have me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey do you mind if I PM you? I had some questions about broward, I saw you mentioned it on another post.

Thank you in advance!
Congratulations on your acceptance! I’m a resident in Florida so can’t necessarily have you shadow but happy to share my thoughts, advice, and answer any questions you may have. Just send me a message.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I’m a resident in Florida so can’t necessarily have you shadow but happy to share my thoughts, advice, and answer any questions you may have. Just send me a message.
I am going to DM you!

Contact your local orthopaedic office and I'm sure they have a shadow program.

Obviously, the above recommendations of individuals in residency/fellowship programs may be beneficial long term