• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali
I am looking to apply to a 1 year masters programm between the time I graduate and I go to med school. I know of two such programs (georgetown and finch) are there any others?

About the Ads

DocKW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
Roch--

What 1-yr program does UNC have? Do you have a link?

Thanks!

dirtyroch

15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
sorry don't know of any master programs at UNC, but i do know that wake forest has a couple of traditional biology masters programs and UNC greensboro has a postbac program.

kungfuyourface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
Hey Dirtyroch,

I have never heard of a USC 1 year masters program. Do you have any information on it?

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali
Originally posted by kungfuyourface
Hey Dirtyroch,

I have never heard of a USC 1 year masters program. Do you have any information on it?

I have never heard of a 1 year masters program at USC either. Do u mean the post bacc program?

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali
I couldn't find where it said that this was a 1 year program or what the requirements for admission into this program were.

TabascoMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2004
DC
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by kungfuyourface
TabascoMD,

Do you have any info on the Northwestern program?

It is a one year M.S. in neurobiology & physiology. The application deadline is the 31st of march. They don't review applications until after the deadline, at least that's what I think. I applied and haven't heard back from them yet.

Here is the direct link:
http://www.northwestern.edu/neurobiology/ms/

nweb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
Madison, WI
Status (Visible)
I have researched a few other options that also fit within the category of 1 yr masters degree in biomed or related science.
Both of these schools are smaller and relatively less highly regarded as USC or G'town or Northwestern, but the course content is definitely there.

The programs I'm talking about are at Ball State (MS in physiology) and Colorado State (Plan B master's in biomedical science).

What do you guys think about attending one of these schools to prep for med school admissions? Smaller, less well known...

jbing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Status (Visible)

that is inaccurate information. i've talked to that program's coordinator and its not possible to finish it in one year. it's a standard 2 year masters program which could potentially be completed in 1.5 years if you start in the summer. and also, this program isn't any sort of a postbacc program, it's not designed to get you into med school, in fact the lady specifically mentioned this.

it's just a standard masters program in physiology, takes two years, and is designed for people that want to teach at the community college level or continue on with a phd. there are a zillion other physiology masters programs out there just like it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.