"Any other comments" essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering using this space to explain why some of my coursework has been taken at CCs and online.

The only college that accepted post-bacc students within two hour's drive was a local college with a limited course list because I lived in a rural area and they focus on trades. I took most of my lower level science classes here in person, but unfortunately was forced to take Physics 2 online because the main physics professor quit and moved to another university like a week before the semester was supposed to start and it was the only remaining option.

I recently moved to an even more rural area to help care for my grandmother as she was dying from cancer, and to help out my parents on the farm. There is now NO university or college within two hours' drive that offers anything beyond trades certifications. Therefore, I will be finishing up the organic chemistry sequence and taking some upper level science coursework through UNE's online post-bacc program.

I've made sure to only apply to places that either fully accept online coursework or accept it on a "case by case" basis. I'm also applying to a lot of rural-focused schools, so my hope is that this issue would both resonate and potentially help to show that I'm from a rural area since my county is not marked as (R) for reasons I can't comprehend (there's only one small metro area in the entire county and my town has a pop of 159, we are over 2 hours from the nearest city of any size).

Thoughts on whether I should do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds reasonable to me! Being 2 hours from the nearest university is a good reason to take courses online.

Reactions: 3 users
Based on your name, do you also explain how/why you are nontraditional? Or perhaps go into how being LGBT affected you in your path to medicine? I feel like that would be a really good anything else essay.

Based on your name, do you also explain how/why you are nontraditional? Or perhaps go into how being LGBT affected you in your path to medicine? I feel like that would be a really good anything else essay.
Already covered in my primary. Very relevant to my journey but I'd prefer to provide new information. I'm going to be 30 and married, formerly a lead software engineer, and it took me about 6 years after transitioning to realize medicine was the way after doing a lot of gender affirming care-adjacent stuff for years in tech.

Reactions: 3 users