Any other first years not really loving radiology yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPelicans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's 5ish months in at this point. It's alright. The hours are nice, when I recognize something without having to look it up it's nice. Guess I'm not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet and I'm still having doubts. Anyone else feeling this way too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What parts do you not like?

Radiology, like many of the subspecialty fields that med students are barely prepared for, has a very steep learning curve the first 6-12 months. You go from kinda mastering or being comfortable as an intern to starting all over again. At my residency, we hadn’t even rotated through all the core disciplines until January, so you would flip every 2 weeks to something new with no repeats until then.

I tell the first years they won’t realize how much they have learned until the next crop of R1s arrive and then you see what baseline really is.

Give it at least a year.

It's 5ish months in at this point. It's alright. The hours are nice, when I recognize something without having to look it up it's nice. Guess I'm not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet and I'm still having doubts. Anyone else feeling this way too?
Are you wishing you had more procedures/patient interaction?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wishing you had more procedures/patient interaction?

Ya I kinda miss clinical medicine. I was deciding between anesthesia/rads in med school, and sometimes I wish I made the other choice. I'm an MD at a good program, if I want to switch it's prob still possible but it would make my life a lot easier if I could just learn to like radiology more. Meanwhile my friends in anesthesia complain too. I guess the grass is always greener..

Last edited:
Ya I kinda miss clinical medicine. I was deciding between anesthesia/rads in med school, and sometimes I wish I made the other choice. I'm an MD at a good program, if I want to switch it's prob still possible but it would make my life a lot easier if I could just learn to like radiology more. Meanwhile my friends in anesthesia complain too. I guess the grass is always greener..

What do they complain about?

How did you decide on rads then? I'm the same boat (anes v rads) :(

Radiology is the best specialty for a number of reasons. I struggled in the beginning too (fellow R1), but now that we're more than halfway through our first year, things are starting to build on each other and make more sense. The workflow is pretty great too, and being able to sit in a clean part of the hospital while sipping on coffee and listening to some Miles Davis goes a long way. You have no idea how much envy there is from other residents in other specialties when they visit me and see what my day to day is like.

Keep reading and learning. It'll get better.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you have to figure out what it is about Radiology that doesn't make you happy. If you need lots of patient contact and somehow didn't realize that while applying the first time, that's a good enough reason to leave imo. However, what you aren't enjoying as an R-1 could just be related to residency training itself rather than Radiology as a field. Radiology is an "easier" residency in regards work hours but I think there are other things about it than can make it very difficult, especially the steep learning curve as discussed earlier. Remember that Radiology has a lot of flexibility in regards to finding a job which fits your priorities as an attending.

I had the same issues during the first few weeks of R1. As an intern, I did enjoy seeing patients and frequently got platitudes from patients and clinicians alike for my bedside manner.

"WHY ARE YOU GOING INTO RADIOLOGY? You'd be perfect for internal medicine!" said more than one attending.

I came to terms that you can't always have everything that you want in a field. Some things you'll get in one field, but then you have to give up others. It's up to you to decide what you value the most. And as always, the grass is always greener on the other side.

My compromise (for now) is to plan for a career doing a mix of body imaging and small procedures. The procedures allow me to interact with patients and satisfy a part of medicine I do miss in someway.

But I don't envy what other physicians do. Like recycledpaper said, a lot of physicians envy us and our jobs. More than one doc has expressed this sentiment outright, and several residents have come up to me and asked me how to escape their residency and enter radiology.

Reactions: 2 users
My compromise (for now) is to plan for a career doing a mix of body imaging and small procedures. The procedures allow me to interact with patients and satisfy a part of medicine I do miss in someway.

Do body radiologists do procedures in private practice? I enjoyed my IR rotation a lot (it is the only rotation besides breast that we can do procedures in my program), altho the really big cases and the call scheedule didn't appeal to me.

Yes, they often do. But, there are positions where you don't have to. Just search for a position that fits your desires. Typically groups love a DR who is into doing some procedures. Try to find a body fellowship where procedures are done if procedures interest you. There can be a lot of variability.

I also feel discouraged about radiology as an R1 and receive similar advice about the steep learning curve and going "back to step one" with each new rotation. I agree it can be difficult to separate frustration with the radiology learning process and disappointment with the field itself. Often, I think about friends who went into IM or neurology and wish I had gone that way.

I also got the response about procedures and IR fulfilling your need for patient contact, but it is important to think about the kind of patient contact you want. You are unlikely to have a longitudinal relationship with patients in radiology, and many procedures involve only brief interactions. IR clinics and inpatient services do exist, but these are only found at select hospitals.

I do appreciate that radiology eliminates all of the most frustrating aspects of clinical medicine such as progress notes, discharge notes/planning, and insurance related paperwork. The work flow seems much less unpredictable. Radiology also has the advantage of being very mentally intense (which is actually an aspect I enjoy).

From speaking to more senior residents, including people who both switched into and out of radiology, more people doubt their career choice than will openly admit to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do body radiologists do procedures in private practice? I enjoyed my IR rotation a lot (it is the only rotation besides breast that we can do procedures in my program), altho the really big cases and the call scheedule didn't appeal to me.
Mostly thoracentosis, and paras, lung and liver biopsies, arthrograms and floro, and breast biopsies. Sub specialization takes a lot of these procedures, but plenty of community programs the images do the minor IR procedures.

One of the issues with DR is that med mal cases involving radiologists are some of the hardest to defend. It's very easy to play Wheres Waldo in retrospect. Something subtle might not be so subtle in retrospect when an early process has had time to advance and the new advanced images are compared to the older more subtle ones.

Thoughts like this can be normal to a certain extent. I had my doubts the first few months as well but I’m glad I stuck with it. If the feeling is overwhelming or you dread going to work, I would suggest switching fields.

Things are getting better now that I'm rotating through some stuff for the second time. I feel much less stupid. I still wish I could do more procedures (I already did my IR rotation and enjoyed it a lot but I don't know if I want to apply ESIR, the call was very intense and I was sort of glad when it ended)

Reactions: 8 users
The only thing im not loving is feeling so slow compared to fellow R1s. I feel like they’re reading circles around me and it sucks and I've been questioning if I've made the right choice. Hopefully it gets better or i get better.