Any other grad students with ADHD?

Started by Rivi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you, Mark. I am glad that medication works for you!
I had the most side effects on the first day. second and third day, they were all gone, minus the chest pressure / pain which persisted. I e-mailed my doctor and he is not concerned which should reassure me, given the fact that I reported my experience in writing, and he would be responsible if something went wrong. But it is still *my* health and my life...

I also read a lot of accounts online from individuals ( many of whom are in school and/or in demanding professions) who stated that stimulants had lost their effects altogether after about a year, or required the addition of further stimulants in the PM hours, just to get through the day. Since PhD takes a number of years to complete, it would be unfortunate for a medication to lose its effectiveness just when you might need it the most. I am wondering if all those of you who shared you are on low dose stimulants have had any such experiences where it stopped working after some time.

I guess very few things are simple in life...Taking PhD level statistics while trying on a new med is not fun! sigh.

Compassionate1

PM Sent
 
Thank you, Therapist for Change.

The neurologist I saw is supposed to be an expert on ADHD but I think that at this point, it would be sensible for me to go the natural route; adapting some life style changes ( exercise, nutrition, sleep etc) , while continuing to look for the right specialist. If / when I find one, I may try again at the end of May, when school is not in session. The disruption to my life and my work ( clinical, research, classes) while trying to find the right med and dose just defeats the whole purpose! Coffee makes the world go around...

Compassionate1

PS I am very curious about the potential of biofeedback and similar treatments for ADHD. Does anyone have any experience with these methods?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad