Any out of staters interview at MIAMI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnie2240

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi lovely SDNers,

I wanted to find out if any out of state applicants had been invited to interview yet at U of Miami? I looked on interview feedback, and only in state residents had posted reviews.

If so, when were you complete and/or ranked?

Whats the deal? I feel completely forgotten about but I'd love to go to Miami!!! Should I basically lose hope?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Shall I take this as a no?

minnie2240 said:
Shall I take this as a no?
i called em yesterday since ive been complete since august....they said i would be reviewed soon....

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard a peep

I'm on the ranked list pre-interview. I guess we all go through this.. but seriously they're taking a long time with us OOS people.

Hopefully we hear something soon. I was complete early september.

Good! I mean not good for us, but I'm happy that I'm not the only what saying WTF.

I hope we hear soon, I'm in need for some warm florida weather...just got hit by a snowstorm.

i just got an interview (by e-mail) there yesterday. i've been complete since august. was on the ranked list since then.
my friend who is also an out of state resident got her secondary a few days ago.

dont trust me on this but when i was browsing previous threads, i remember reading that they were only looking at in-state residents in the fall...they first interviewed april mcaters and then moved on to august mcaters. it looks as though they are considering out of state people in the spring.

this is slightly off topic...but does anybody know about the pros/cons of miami (the medical school, not the city)?

Pros - Excellent Clinicals (second only to LA in patient volume, but has more diversity). Research opportunities... they just finished a new multi-disciplinary research bldg (12 stories) and they're about to break ground on a new one shortly (15 stories)... The new bldg has a gym on the 12th floor, that has a beautiful view hehe. Every other week theres a social event (usu. at south beach).

Residency placement. If you look at their list, theres a wide range of schools (i.e. you have to be weary when most students stay in the same hospital, for example).

Top-notch clinicals, great research opportunities (and heading in an upward trend thanks to our president).

Cons - Tuition... pretty pricey, they do offer OOS scholarships, but still, you may want to look into this. Also, the board scores are slightly above average.. meaning that if you want to get an elite score, you're gonna have to study a bit on your own (thats what I am going to do).

Overall, Its a really solid school with great opportunities... and Jackson itself is a really great hospital.

Any more questions? :)

minnie2240 said:
Hi lovely SDNers,

I wanted to find out if any out of state applicants had been invited to interview yet at U of Miami? I looked on interview feedback, and only in state residents had posted reviews.

If so, when were you complete and/or ranked?

Whats the deal? I feel completely forgotten about but I'd love to go to Miami!!! Should I basically lose hope?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm out of state and I got an interview invitation yesterday. From the stats on US News, it seems that they intervies about 180 out of staters per year.

thats true, but you can expect the number of oos interviews to increase gradually every year - UM is moving towards a 50/50 representation. So expect this year's number to be slightly larger then last year's

I'm OOS and got an invite on the 11th of November, was complete in August. Could have taken an interview spot in Dec, but that would have interfered with finals or an interview I already had set up, so that was a no-go. Anyone gonna be there on the 23 of Jan?