any PDs here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a psychiatrist looking to do a 2nd residency in fp

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You cray cray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I could use my psychiatry experience and knowledge in family medicine, PCPs prescribe more psych meds than psychiatrists, my motivational interviewing skills to help people decide to make healthier choices and selfishly I miss the rest of medicine. I Am not applying this year, I am applying next year. I do have a few red flags, I graduated from psych 2015 . I have been working ever since. I did an intern year prior to psych. Any suggestions on programs to apply to? I will move anywhere. I went to med school to help others and to be HAPPY. Psych day in and day out bores me, I miss "the rest" of medicine, I like the long term patient relationship but I want to treat rashes, sore throats, manage diabetes, I want to work on primary and secondary prevention. I will move anywhere in the country start as a PGY 1.

PCPs prescribe more psych meds than psychiatrists.

Not in my experience. Local psych docs prescribe 2-3x more psych meds than I do, particularly benzos and hypnotics.

I miss "the rest" of medicine, I like the long term patient relationship but I want to treat rashes, sore throats, manage diabetes, I want to work on primary and secondary prevention.

Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, good luck with your future plans, but I would recommend you speak to your FM colleagues and think long and hard before plunging in.

Oh, and I forgot, the part where you say "my motivational interviewing skills to help people decide to make healthier choices". Good luck using your motivational interviewing skills to make people lose weight, and quit smoking, and quit pot, and quit unsafe sex, and quit....

Again, make sure you talk to experienced PCPs. It seems you have an unrealistic view of Family Medicine.

Oh, and I forgot, the part where you say "my motivational interviewing skills to help people decide to make healthier choices". Good luck using your motivational interviewing skills to make people lose weight, and quit smoking, and quit pot, and quit unsafe sex, and quit....

Again, make sure you talk to experienced PCPs. It seems you have an unrealistic view of Family Medicine.
I actually did a ton of FP electives and a TRI year and volunteered in a primary care clinic the year after graduation, I know what FP is, I'm sorry you seem unhappy with it. I have some FP friends who love it, some who hate it. I was urged to do FP , wish I would have. I have had a ton of success using motivational interviewing for my patients with their psych and health issues. There's a book on Amazon for primary care providers, you may want to check it out. It doesn't happen over night and ultimately the choice lies in the patients hands which is the whole point of motivational interviewing. The PATIENT makes the choice.

Not in my experience. Local psych docs prescribe 2-3x more psych meds than I do, particularly benzos and hypnotics.

Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, good luck with your future plans, but I would recommend you speak to your FM colleagues and think long and hard before plunging in.
Oh I get a ton of patients who had PCP prescribe inappropriately. In Michigan at least they realized their is an Opoid crisis and they are cracking down and hard on all controlled substances, PCPs who prescribed Ambien Xanax, Adderall etc are less likely to continue and bam new patient for me. But I guess it depends on where you live. If you google, overall more primary care docs do prescribe more psych meds than shrinks. NOT trying to argue, I wanna be one of you :)

Thank you for the brief primer on motivational interviewing. I had no idea what it was (sarcasm).

I can see you pretty much made up your mind, so again, good luck with your future plans. Apply broadly, and have a creative PS (don't state you want to do FM because you want to "help others and to be happy", it's trite and PDs won't like it).

Also, I do enjoy primary care, it's just that I'm realistic. It sometimes just plain sucks. Trust me, I live primary care every day, you don't. There's a book on Amazon on primary care, you might want to check it out.

I hope you do become "one of us", it's a great profession with a great lifestyle. Just want to make sure it's what you want, that's all.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the brief primer on motivational interviewing. I had no idea what it was (sarcasm).

I can see you pretty much made up your mind, so again, good luck with your future plans. Apply broadly, and have a creative PS (don't state you want to do FM because you want to "help others and to be happy", it's trite and PDs won't like it).

Also, I do enjoy primary care, it's just that I'm realistic. It sometimes just plain sucks. Trust me, I live primary care every day, you don't. There's a book on Amazon on primary care, you might want to check it out.

I hope you do become "one of us", it's a great profession with a great lifestyle. Just want to make sure it's what you want, that's all.

Unfortunately, I'd say cardiologists and neurologists have better a better success rate than us at enacting real change in people. Fear is the greatest motivator and nothing gets someone on board of taking better care of themselves any faster than a heart attack or stroke.

Most people feel first, think second (or even third). If they're not feeling the consequences, then all is good (think asymptomatic hypertension). If you best want to shirpa people through positive change, go in to a field where you get to pull them back from the brink. I'll have a rare win when it comes to helping someone lose weight, stop smoking, med compliance, etc but usually there is some emotional trigger that started the whole process (daddy, I want you to stop smoking and not die).

The majority of my patients enjoy coming to see me (I hope) but sadly, most of our patients will begrudgingly take their medications and do none of the lifestyle changes that would possibly allow discontinuation later on down the line.

The majority of my patients enjoy coming to see me (I hope) but sadly, most of our patients will begrudgingly take their medications and do none of the lifestyle changes that would possibly allow discontinuation later on down the line.

This is also true with psych though, alot of the stuff can be treated with lifestyle changes, exercise, yoga, meditation etc. but people would rather take a pill and forget about their issue until the pill wears off..

PCPs prescribe more psych meds than psychiatrists
There are a lot more PCPs than psychiatrists. Each PCP prescribes fewer psych meds than each psychiatrist and it makes up a smaller percentage of each PCP's practice, but as a whole group the PCPs prescribe more psych meds to more patients than psychiatrists.

Reactions: 1 users
There are a lot more PCPs than psychiatrists. Each PCP prescribes fewer psych meds than each psychiatrist and it makes up a smaller percentage of each PCP's practice, but as a whole group the PCPs prescribe more psych meds to more patients than psychiatrists.
yup

It doesn't happen overnight, but done correctly with patience and perserverance I have had a lot of success with it.