1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Any PharmD/JDs out there

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by RachGator, Jul 27, 2006.

1. RachGator

RachGator Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    My search is not working right so I thought I would take a chance and post this even if it was already addressed:
    I am contemplating going for a 6 year Pharm D/JD program. Both college deans are each excited but my friends who are in law school said I won't need the JD so don't bother. They say that there are so very few things you can do with both that you can't do with just the Pharm D that the time wouldn't be worth it. Anyone practicing and using both, and, if so, how are you using them? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Not me!

But...a classmate of mine did a JD after his PharmD. He is a practicing attorney who specializes in drug related malpractice for both pharmacists & other health professions.

His pharmacy license is inactive.

4. ZpackSux

ZpackSux Retired
    Removed

if you want to be an attorney, save time and money..go to law school.

if you want to be a pharmacist...go to pharmacy school.

5. Shmy2008

Shmy2008 What the...?
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would assume that a career with a state board of pharmacy would necessitate both degrees. My pharmacy law course was taught by the executive director of my state's BOP, who holds both degrees. So you can work for the board AND teach pharmacy law... who knew there were so many possibilities?

6. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Too much debt too do both, pick the one you like most and lean more towards.

7. ApothRM

ApothRM Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm also debating wether or not to go to law school after pharmacy. I just took a pharmacy case law class taught buy pharmd/jd and he was very encouraging about the opportunites that are presented to an individual with both of these degrees...I specifically looking a patent law and if not that getting into adminitrative law and maybe become active in the drug approval process.

8. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    pharmd/jd could easily lead to a regulatory position with a pharma

9. RachGator

RachGator Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am fully committed to the Pharm D but am also intrigued by Pharm Law/FDA/etc. I would also like to teach at the end of my career and Pharm Law sounds right up my alley.

10. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

You would have a lot more debt, but depending on where you ended up your earning potential could be much higher. Hopefully at least you would earn enough more to make you break even with just getting a pharmd.

11. RachGator

RachGator Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I gave up going out of state so my tuition costs for both programs is pretty low. Getting both degrees in state would cost me the same as getting just the Pharm D out-of-state. As for salary, the Pharm D salary alone is great, but I want to find where I fit best in the field.
    I have two years to see if I want to pursue the JD part.

12. Cyclist

Cyclist New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm a patent attorney and starting Pharmacy School this year. Definately a lot of opportunities for a dual profession. I've got several biotech companies interested in my progress already. But if anyone tells you...do it...or don't do it...be suspicous. It's your decision and what's best for you.
    Also check out aspl.org

13. hmtran6283

hmtran6283 New Member

Pharmacy Student
    Cyclist,

How long have you been a patent attorney? And which law school did you go to? What made you decide to go to pharmacy school? I think your case is very rare in that you became a lawyer first then going to pharmacy school, as opposed to the rest of us who are going to be pharmacists, then going to law school.

What field of pharmacy or law will you think you'll be practicing? Patent law, intellectual property, pharmacy regulation, etc? Also, will a pharmd/jd have a higher salary than a lawyer with just a JD?

Can you give me (or us) any advice on prepping for the admissions process for law school? My question is will a PharmD boost up my profile for the admissions process? The only law related thing I've done is a Pharmacy Law class and a legislative/regulatory experiential rotation with a State Board of Pharmacy member.

Please give us any advice you can offer.