Any physical therapy students have experience applying to the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shehraj

Reaction score
I'm a Canadian applying to study in the UK, but I do not see any standard grade conversion methods (like we have here for OMSAS, PTCAS, etc) listed anywhere for how UK programs calculate GPAS. The requirements for the program I'm interested in is is “3.0/4, 6.5/9, or 75%", and my grades would be borderline above or below - I have already been told after the interview as long as I meet the academic requirements I will be offered a spot. Issue is I am a transfer student, done my three latest years in a university employing a 9.0 scale, and my first at a university employing a 12.0 scale.

When I've tried to use standard conversions, I've gotten different results. I appear to be above a 3.0, but below a 6.5, and sometimes above and below percentage wise using different calculators. Surely all 3 scores are equal to each other right? So I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine conversions exist, but on a different note, I'd suggest only going to school in the UK if you intend to work their after graduation. Transferring licenses between countries is a very difficult and expensive process that involves retaking boards and many other headaches! Make sure you know all about what it will take to get work permits (if you don't have a citizenship connection) and what the market for PTs is like there before you make the leap.

Transferring licenses between countries is a very difficult and expensive process that involves retaking boards and many other headaches!
definitely look into this. When I had my rehab tech orientation, there was a woman in my group who had been a licensed PT in Costa Rica but was unable to practice here and was having to start all over as a tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested in getting their PT degree in the UK, I would look at Robert Gordon University in Scotland! I applied there last year because it's one of two physiotherapy programs outside of the US that is CAPTE certified! You can either apply directly for their US-credentialed DPT program or apply for their MSc Physiotherapy and then you can transfer to Northern Arizona University because they have a matriculated agreement! I interviewed but unfortunately did not receive an acceptance - definitely a different style of learning than US citizens are used to, so I think it worked out for the best with me! Very cool program though, especially if you are interested in studying abroad or learning a different style of physical therapy! RGU is on a 3.0/4 scale and also have pretty much the same pre-req requirements as US DPT programs!

If anyone is interested in getting their PT degree in the UK, I would look at Robert Gordon University in Scotland! I applied there last year because it's one of two physiotherapy programs outside of the US that is CAPTE certified! You can either apply directly for their US-credentialed DPT program or apply for their MSc Physiotherapy and then you can transfer to Northern Arizona University because they have a matriculated agreement! I interviewed but unfortunately did not receive an acceptance - definitely a different style of learning than US citizens are used to, so I think it worked out for the best with me! Very cool program though, especially if you are interested in studying abroad or learning a different style of physical therapy! RGU is on a 3.0/4 scale and also have pretty much the same pre-req requirements as US DPT programs!
hey! I'm definitely lurking but I just wanted to ask about your experience applying here! I am interested in this program but I really haven't seen much about it. Did you apply for the DPT or the MSc program?